Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scaffold training of fruit tree question

Posted by Drew51 6a SE MI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:40

If directing angle of a scaffold by tying it to the ground. How long do you leave it tied?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scaffold training of fruit tree question

Usually by summer it will have stiffened into place. Because I use spreaders it is easy to check.

o

Thanks H-Man! I should have did this last year, some limbs still can be adjusted. I do have a new peach tree and it's nice and flexible, limbs look excellent now that I spread them! It has a nice scaffold already, a darn nice tree! From Tierra Madre Farm. It was expensive, has large caliper, yet low limbs are already present, heck it may even fruit! Nice! I want the BYOC style tree with low scaffolds and such, and even though this is a huge caliper tree, like 1.5 inches to 2 inches, it has very low limbs. It had about 3 sets of scaffolds, so if you wanted a tall tree instead, it was very possible. I cut one set off, and left two scaffolds for each direction. I don't have to choose right now.
Again thanks for the info, I'll remove the ties mid-summer.

o

Hope you got some major root with all that top.

o

Root was impressive too. Picture doesn't really do it justice.
Root in plastic, so is unseen, but is impressive. That's a tall kitchen trash bag, root was about 2.5 feet long. Everything above the yellow tag was removed (head cut).
Old Mixon Free Peach.
Still in dormancy, as are all my plants. Tulips are showing now for three days, springs at last is coming here.
I pruned all my trees today and sprayed for PLC.
Tomorrow I will finsih putting compost around my brambles, and currants.

o

Nice. I'd still give the tree at least a year to really plug in before collecting taxes. It is amazing how much just a few fruit can runt out a young peach tree- at least under my management.

o

Yeah let the roots establish, the larger the caliper the longer root recovery is needed. I will remove any fruit this year. I'll have plenty of fruit on other trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here