Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry cane bark falling off

Posted by gnomeabram SE Wisconsin 5B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:41

I was checking my Raspberry canes for the first time this spring, and noticed that many of them have bark peeling off the entire surface of the cane from the ground level up 2 to 4 inches. Above this level the bark is fine. When I pull the bark off, it is green underneath. I couldn't find any black spots underneath, so I don't think it's spur blight. Are these canes doomed?

This post was edited by gnomeabram on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry cane bark falling off

They are fine! Floricanes get old! Some of mine do not do this, but Fall Gold and others do, no worries! The ones that tend to be spineless seem to do this.
I have Allen black raspberry and the canes are purple, cool looking plant, super aggressive grower though. it wants to root all over! 6 times I pulled cane tips out of the ground last summer.

So it will be easy to tell which canes you need to remove once they fruit.

o

Thanks for the reassurance. I've been growing raspberries for years, but this is the first time I've noticed this. It's occurring among all 4 varieties I grow. I always assumed the bark of a raspberry floricane was analogous to that of a tree, and if the bark was removed across the whole surface of a cane that it would die. Hoping for the best.

o

Spur blight can cause peeling canes, old canes often peel. Spur blight will leave dark spores in the bark. Remove canes if spur blight and use a fungicide But peeling canes alone is not always a problem. Spent canes peel too.
Mine have always peeled, so I don't really pay attention to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here