Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No news from my weeping Santa Rosa Plum?

Posted by ashleysf 9 San Jose, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 15:54

I was a little late in getting this tree - maybe mid - january '10 (for my area, it was the end of bareroot season). This was a DWN dormant bare root tree. When I decided to get it, the only tree left in the nursery was puny, but I decided to buy it anyway because I wanted it. Now, it is end of march and it has been planted in a sunny spot and its weeping branches pruned back by 1/3rd and there is no sign of anything from this tree. All my other bareroot plantings are flowering and leafing out. This tree has green branches, though and a few tiny buds that are swelling, but has been that way for a month already. How long should I wait before taking this tree back to the nursery (they have a 1 year warranty)? Or is there hope for this tree yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No news from my weeping Santa Rosa Plum?

If the branches are still supple there is still hope. However as late as it is it may not make it and only time will tell. Old school is to prune a bareroot tree while its still dormant chopping all the branches and the central leader. Others now say its best not to cut off the terminal buds because they produce a growth hormone that helps the tree establish itself. I can't say who is right or wrong. However I have found that the bareroot trees I have pruned that come with branches take a good while longer to leaf out. They take longer than the bareroot trees that came with branches that I do not prune. They also take longer to leaf out than the bareroot trees that come with all their branches cut off.

Nothing scientific about it, just my personal observation you can so take it or leave it. However after this season I personally will not do any pruning the first season on bareroot trees. My one exception will be summer pruning after they have already leafed out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here