Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Year Strawberries

Posted by christine283 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 15:59

I grew a couple of strawberry plants last year but didn't know the nitty gritty details. We planted them, got a couple handfuls of fruit and that was it.

Bought some more and actually found time to read up on them, and am seeing that for the first year, the blossoms are supposed to be removed so the plant can focus on getting established? No harvest this year, but more the next?

Is this really true? I'll do it, if that means a bigger harvest next year, but I want to know for sure before I start throwing away blossoms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Year Strawberries

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 16:11

I don't worry about it.
I have a gigantic planter that's easier to weed now but before when I was planting a patch the first and second year was all you could really hope for.

I let mine fruit last year and the ones on the north side of the pyramid don't seem any worse for it. The ones on the south aren't so great but that was because it was so hot and no rain last year. It was impossible to keep up with spraying them.

I think what picking the flowers really does for you is it gets them to send out runners sooner to fill in the patch. If you planted densely you don't have as much need to fill in.
In my planter 1 bunch of 50 bare root planted enough per side that minimal runners were able to fill it up and I'm sure next summer I'll be ripping out the original mothers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here