Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with grapes...

Posted by NAUgrad2005 Idaho (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:07

I planted 3 different varieties of grapes when I moved into my home 6 years ago: Thompson's Seedless green grapes, Concord grapes and a red grape. The plants did well and bore fruit each year, but I've lost my crops the past 2 years due to powdery mildew. The vines grow in a planter area in the corner of my backyard but span roughly 15 feet wide along the fence. During the season, I was diligent with keeping my vines open and airy. This year, I think I'll try to treat them. I'm at a loss of what to do this spring though,,,should I cut off any areas that still look diseased? The vines are watered by my sprinkler system daily throughout the spring and summer, although the sprinklers only run for about 10 minutes in the backyard. Please help...I'm a grape novice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with grapes...

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 17:31

Daily water probably isn't the cause of your powdery mildew. But it's not a good schedule for grapes or even a lawn for that matter. Could you go to a weekly or twice weekly watering?

Grapes would do best with a deep watering every couple weeks. Once a week on shallow soil.

Study the info linked below and you will be an expert on PM of grapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: grape PM

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 21:00

Also its probably best to water the roots and not the foliage.

o

I had some powdery mildew last year.

This year I may try spraying with a solution of milk. I may also try EM (effective organisms).

Definitely not into soaking my food with fungicides.

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 14:42

I have been growing grapes for about 20 yrs now(Calf. & AZ) and have learned a lot, mostly the hard way. First and formost do not water the vines from above Big NG. Do not water with a sprinkler under them as it will drive the spores. Put them on drip system or deep water with the hose. They get wet and are not dry by night you will get fugus or if it rains and they do not dry quickly, you will get fungus. If you have lots of humindity you are going to get fungus. Though I don't remmber Idaho haviing tons of humidity in the Coer d' Alene area , but I don't no where you are at. Keeping them aired out is perfect.
As for the fungus during the dorment season you can spray and it won't effect the fruit. I use a dorment spray 3 times during the winter and if I had fungus the year before I will spray with a funguside before leaf break. Keep the leaves dry, maybe even a little dusty dirty. Once there is leaf break I do not spray @ all. Hope this will help

o

spray with wettable sulfur or dust with sulfur every 2 weeks from bud break till veriason, assuming your grapes arent sulfur sensitive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here