Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hood and seckle pear pollination

Posted by ahajmano sunset Orange County (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 16:08

So I am having a hard time finding information on pollinating these two varieties.

For Hood, the only listed pollinators that work in low-chill socal are flordahome and Baldwin.

For seckle, one source indicates "self fruitful in arid west".

I have both these varieties planted in a single hole? Am I out of luck? Do they both need polinators, or will they bloom at the same time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hood and seckle pear pollination

Seckel sets fruit for me in Norcal and it's my only pear, no pears in my immediate neighborhood that I know of.

o

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:54

Some pears will be self fertile in warm weather climates, especially some of the Asian pears. However, you will still get more fruit if you can cross pollinate. Hood seems to need a pollinator, however. Seckle doesn't.

o

seckel pear pollinators

Here is a link that might be useful: seckel pear pollinators

o

Here's the "definitive" answer. From the NCGR Corvallis database, it's self-fertile.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR Corvallis Pyrus Catalog Entry - Seckel

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 6:02

I can confirm that a Hood pear needs a pollinator. My 10 year old Hood never had more than one pear each year until I planted a Flordahome next to it. The first year the Flordahome had a few blossoms I hand-pollinated the Hood from it and produced a bunch of fruit. This year I had more blossoms to work with and did a lot of hand pollination...the Hood is loaded with small pears right now, even in areas that I didn't hand pollinate. I've found a list of about 6 pear varieties that pollinate the Hood...the Hood blooms earlier than many pear so it's through blooming before my two other pears even start to open their blossoms (that's beside the Flordahome which seems to start blooming here a few weeks after the Hood starts).

Here's the list of varieties that are supposed to pollinate the Hood pear: Courthouse, Flordahome, Baldwin, GoldenBoy, Le Conte, Pineapple Pear. Here in S. Calif the Flordahome is easy to find, and I've seen Pineapple pear also. The others are uncommon.

You also need to know that bees don't particularly like pears(or the pear nectar) so hand-pollination can make a big difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here