Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i keep a van cherry on mahaleb short, byoc or ufo style?

Posted by NilaJones 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 16:14

Yeah, I didn't think so :(((.

(Also, I'd appreciate feedback on whether it was a good idea to move this to a new thread or not, as I'm new and don't know the customs here.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i keep a van cherry on mahaleb short, byoc or ufo style?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 20:36

Nila:

You can keep it short by pruning enough. The real questions are how much trouble and will it be productive. Maybe so because Van is so precocious. But I won't try it. I'd get a tree on one of the dwarf roots especially if you really want to keep it 4-5ft tall. The UFO trees are 8-9ft and I believe that's on something like Gisela 5.

I could be wrong so give it a try. That's how we learn.

o

Thank you fruitnut :).

Also, where did my capital letters in the title go? I put them in...

o

One thread would have been better.

o

Thank you, Waiting. I have known forums where people get annoyed if someone doesn't start a new thread and the topic drifts, and forums where it's the other way round :).

I hope I have not been annoying folks in general with my obsessing over this situation. I realise I have been overly attached to using this Van now that I have it. Thing is, it is rather late for mail order where I live -- I prefer to plant in January. I just hate to lose a year, you know?

Unless you guys tell me it's a really terrible plan, I might just move the compact stella to this ufo-appropriate location.

It is little and already has a curve and will be so much easier to net than where it is now. If it were a plant I am familiar with, I would do it. But are fruit trees more delicate? (Recap: I just planted it two weeks ago and would have to rinse its roots due to weed-seed issues, so it would be reestablishing its connections with the soil and microorganisms. Fruitnut seemed to say I should not.)

o

My experience is that trees are very forgiving. I'd move it but not wash it. You can deal with any weeds later.

As far as being "too late" to order trees, I just ordered 4 more and I'm in California where it was 80 degrees one day last week. And they'll be fine.

gary

o

You can keep any fruit any height you want if you let low branches grow out long enough to reach maturity. A cherry can be grown next to the ground if you keep tying down branches to prostate position. Elevation won't affect maturity, it is cutting back wood that keeps trees juvenile.

o

Here in SoCal, Tom Spellman from Dave Wilson Nurseries says you can keep them at any height you want....just a matter of more summer pruning. But we can prune here in summer, not sure about your zone.

o

In the UK they keep cherry trees small by espalier technique. With cherries you can do a fan. I read a little about it in Growing Fruit by Harry Baker from The Royal Horticultural Society. Seems like a better way to approach BYOC, for cherries from the people who have been doing BYOC for decades, the Brits! Gisela rootstock though might not work well with this technique? Unsure?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here