Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best info: Fruit trees

Posted by Raw_Nature 6 NE OH (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:31

Hello... I am looking for some good information on fruit trees - planting, pruning, grafting, disease control,etc. What arethe best books you read on the matter? Any information on the Internet works as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best info: Fruit trees

For non-ubiquitous and rare fruit, you can't go wrong with California Rare Fruit Growers:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/frtfacts.html

Also, Purdue has great info on tropical and subtropical:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/index.html

o

RAW,

John Gordon E-book on nuts, persimmon ....in the link below.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Infos on nuts

o

Tony:

I could use more links like that, very informative! Unfortunately I am not growing nuts, nor pawpaws. I'm sure some of the info applies to fruit trees as well... U don't have any of those articles on fruit trees do you?

Thanks,
Joe

o

Agajmano:

It seems like all your link are for warm climate tropicals... Still interesting. Thanks

Joe

o

o

Scott:

Thanks, links are a good start! I noticed you space your trees 3' just to accommodate many varieties.. Do you have a orchard that's not for experiment with bigger trees? I have a 7x30 area running east/west, gets 6-8 hours sun... I would like to plant fruit trees to obtain the maximum yield for that space... How would you plant it? at least a rough idea(dwarf,semi,standard,pruning,spacing,etc). Don't mean to change subjects...

Thanks
Joe

o

Joe, I try to give trees I really like more room by removing trees around it. I now have many trees at 6' spacing, for example all my cherries are at 6' or so now. One advantage of spacing 3' is unless you get unlucky and have all the good varieties with other good and bad with other bad, you can do this selective removal over the years. For regular dense planting I think 6' is a good spacing. Note that your 7' is OK width for the tree itself but you also need a border area to walk in etc.

Scott

o

What Rootstock your cherries on? How about the majority of your trees? Do you have pictures? That would help me out a million!

Appreciate it,

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here