Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does your area have Peach Leaf Curl?

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 16:42

Hello,
I'm trying to get as broad a sampling as possible of where PLC is happening.
Even if it doesn't occur now because of corrective measures,I'd like to know.Please include your State or identifying area also. Thanks,Brady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does your area have Peach Leaf Curl?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 16:50

West Texas with our very dry springs hasn't a whiff of PLC. It was a real issue when I lived near Fresno, CA. I think you'll find the wetter springs an area has the more PLC. I don't know how far south it goes, say FL. I know it's an issue in southern CA.

o

It's here in central NH.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 17:09

We do see some PLC from time to time here, especially with a late season rain. I just remove the affected leaves, which are few and mostly in the shadowy areas. Some Summer pruning seems to help as well by allowing better air flow and light penetration. It's not to a point yet for me to start spraying.

o

I never had it but my neighbor's peach tree has it every year. He does nothing, the tree loses it fruit every year. The tree has many other problems too. Looks like Shothole, and bugs galore. Looks to be going downhill. I hope it does, a source of infection for my trees!

o

Definitely a constant threat here at the frequently foggy coast of Central California. I buy Lime-Sulfur from out of state and use it religiously. It's the best.

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 21:14

I get it in coastal San Diego if I don't spray with lime sulfur.

o

We don't see it very much in SC. It's more variety specific, and most growers avoid those varieties.

o

Cleveland, Ohio. PLC is a yearly problem for me.

o

San Diego, CA, about 10 miles inland. I get it on all of my peach and nectarine trees. My trees are wet frequently in winter and spring from coastal fog and rain. Spraying with liquid copper after leaf drop and during bud swell seems to keep it under control.

o

Hi, I spray my peach trees with copper and a sticker. I spray three times a year. It is time for the second spray now. Without it, my trees would be horribly dis-formed by PLC, as it is one ugly fungus. The warm, hot, and very humid summers in RI are a perfect breeding ground for PLC. Mrs. G

o

I'm in Madison WI and my trees always have PLC. It's hard to find a good time to spray them since it is almost always either too cold or too rainy.

o

I had it real bad 2 years ago on my Reliance peaches. One tree worse than the other. I sprayed when dormant and it came back following spring. Not anywhere near as bad though. I have seen it here and there also through the last 6 or so years.

o

SF Bay area has been a problem for both my Nectarine and Peach trees. Spraying with copper has worked reasonably well, but this year sprayed Daconil (Chlorothalonil) and have not seen any PLC.

o

Three years ago I saw it all over San Jose. Last two springs have been very dry and I don't see it much. I pulled off a handful of leaves on my peach tree, otherwise they look great no spraying.

o

Thanks guys for your replies.So far it's from California to the East coast and mostly in the Northern parts of the country.
Maybe more will answer from other places. Thanks again,Brady

o

• Posted by mjmarco Zone 6 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 7:27

Rochester NY, I have it bad every year. I Must spray to control it

o

We get it in the UK too - Cambridge on the eastern side which, although it is classed as semi-arid, the curl is still a yearly curse.

Many growers fan train their fruit against a wall, leaving a draped polythene cover in place when leaves are emerging....once the leaves are full out, they can generally fight back against residual spores....it is only really crucial to spray at bud break and leaf fall.

o

Have not seen it in Central Florida.

o

Utah State University extension talks of it existing here, but I've never seen any effects on my trees. I have never sprayed to prevent it. From what I read it only crops up in unusually wet springs (avg rainfall of 15 in per year here, so that isn't a common occurrence).

o

I did not have curl the first 4 years I grew peaches in SE WI
then got it every year so resorted to spraying chlorothalonil.

I agree with athenain's comment that is the worst thing to spray for due to the weather. Trying to find a day from
March 15th-April 1st to spray is tough. Usually too windy or
too cold.

Yesterday while at work it hit 42 degrees and was fairly calm. After work, I mixed the spray and drove to the orchard (no water yet on at my orchard site). The wind
picked up fast and suddenly I wished I had not bothered.
I used my spray as already mixed but not sure how good
a spray pattern I got on the windy side of the trees.

o

Lake Ontario shoreline WNY and we have it. This was the first winter for 4 peach trees here and all of them have it. One Reliance and three Saturn, two dwarfs and one standard.

o

Portland Oregon.... So uh, you could say we see it from time to time

o

Adelanto, Ca---Mojave Desert area---not at all.

o

This wet and cool spring has been terrible for it with some sites suffering to the point of damaging potential crop a great deal. Trees sprayed with copper while dormant in spring are not completely protected although it seems to have reduced infection to a tolerable level. Next year I'll use chlorathalinal at worst sites.

Many sites were not affected and remain disease free. Eastern exposure helps a great deal as does reasonable distance between trees.

Turns out that TangOs is pretty susceptible, BTW.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:23

I noticed Michigan was recommending 2X sprays for leaf curl this year. I've never needed two sprays here in KS, but some folks on this forum have indicated two sprays are essential for their area.

I've heard it rains every day in Seattle WA. I'd expect it's a big deal there.

o

Whats the best spray? I've got some copper fungicide I plan to mix with horticultural oil, but I've heard that may not be the best because the copper builds up in the soil over time. Is there something better?

o

Jimmy,

There was a tread about spraying copper and its effect in soil. Check out the link here. It has answers to most of your questions.

I don't know the answer of "Is there something better?". Many people appear to agree that copper is very effective fungicide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper spray

o

I had PLC here in central MA for a couple of years before I started spraying it with copper. I don't have it these days.

o

mamuang,
Do your trees get sprayed every year,even though they don't get it?I read somewhere that young trees are affected more and some can "outgrow" the disease as they mature.I'm not sure if this is accurate.
"I've heard it rains every day in Seattle WA."
olpea,that just isn't true.I can remember one day last year,I think it was in July,that there wasn't any precipitation.Just kidding,but March this year could have been the wettest on record.Now that I'm talking about rain,yeah,it happened today.
Thanks again for the posts.It gives a bigger picture of where this is happening. Brady

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 0:37

Even though this year has bee pretty wet, it has still been far better for me from a PLC-standpoint. I had quite a bit last year, but I individually picked all the impacted leaves and disposed of them. I'm not sure how much that helps, but this year I've only seen a handful of leaves impacted across 10+ peach trees (many added last year).

Last year:
TangO (NJF16)- badly impacted
PF1 & Gold Dust- some impact
Carolina Gold- not a single leaf with PLC, even though it is right next to the TangO.

o

Brady,

My oldest peach tree is only 5 years old. I also have bacterial leave spot on my peach trees. Both PLC and leave spot can be treated by copper so I just kill two birds with one stone.

I don't know if I'd like to skip a year. It's difficult to pick up all affected leaves that drop everyday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here