Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anna Apple Sucker or Branch?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 16:48

We have an older Anna Apple on our property that is loaded with apples. We loved those apples so much last year that we bought a new one bare root and planted it. The little fence around it is a gopher basket to protect it from the many critters here.

It shows no signs of life yet except for this small leafing shoot near the graft. It's hard to tell if it's coming from below or above the graft.

What do you think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anna Apple Sucker or Branch?

Below. Looks like a sucker, to me.

Also, it looks like your tree was planted too high, I see exposed roots. You might add more soil.

o

We will remove the sucker today and add more soil.

Thanks so much!

Suzi

o

I wouldn't add much more soil. That is right at the root flare. Having some roots on the surface is OK and even desirable. But having too much space for air to get under may not be so good.

My freaking Anna never lost all its leaves, and still hasn't come out of dormancy either. She'd better hurry up and get some canopy going...its getting pretty warm out there...the loquots were drooping yesterday afternoon. Speaking of which you might want to get that trunk painted white in 9b.

o

Good advice about the white latex! We'll get on it.

Our Anna never lost any leaves either. Then she bloomed and now she's loaded with blooms and apples.

The new baby must have been in cold storage. Could take some time for the bare root to wake up.

Thanks!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here