Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

'Misty' blueberry

MrClint
10 years ago

'Misty' is clustering, swelling, and blooming at the same time. It never lost all its old leaves over Winter, but the new growth flush is starting to come in:

Comments (24)

• pharmachad
    10 years ago

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. How many
    Misty plants do you have?

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have one 'Misty'. The first two years I didn't care for it much, as the BB were too tart. Now I let them sit a good long time and they are excellent.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Mine are sweet like candy,almost too much so.This one really needs flower or fruit thinning. Brady

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bradybb, I don't thin out flower or fruit on any of my BB. If you do, then I think that's great! :)

• pharmachad
    10 years ago

I'm getting 10 Misty liners in this week.
    Looks like i made a good choice with
    these positive reviews. How long do you
    leave them on the bush before picking?

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sample them, when they are super sweet they are harvested with gusto. Note that 'Misty' is not as well behaved as "Sunshine Blue'.

• pharmachad
    10 years ago

That's ok. I already have 10 SB's and they are loaded!
    I may have to cut the tips off the branches so they
    Don't break.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, this year the fruit is pretty sweet right when they first color up. Most likely due to the maturity of the plant, but possibly due in part to the switch over to fully organic.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

"Well, this year the fruit is pretty sweet right when they first color up. Most likely due to the maturity of the plant, but possibly due in part to the switch over to fully organic"

Not a chance...does not work that way.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PharmaChad, 'Sunshine Blue' does shoot out some long spikes (for it) with clusters on the tip. Still, I like the semi-dwarf growth pattern and smaller leaves.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo from early this morning. 'Misty' is putting out some tasty fruit as well right now. I was able to get some BirdBlock on it this weekend:

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

Maybe I didn't give Misty enough time to produce good fruit but it got cut from my collection after 2 seasons. It was just too tart for my taste!

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

blueboy1977, thanks for the validation! It was incredibly tart for me initially as previously stated. I really like it a lot now. Again, I'm not a fruithunter by any means, but it is readily available here locally, produces well and has settled in as a tasty berry for me. If it became a fussy plant I would simply remove it and replace it with a 'Sunshine Blue', which is my favorite BB, all things considered.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Your Misty seems to be in much better shape than your Emerald.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

blueboy1977, 'Misty' was very tasty this morning. My BB are trickling in nicely right now. I'm very happy with the ease and results of the DWN method, and the switch over to organic fertilizer.

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

I like the DWN mix as well and had a couple plants in that mix with no problems. The only thing I couldn't find was the feather meal. Both the plants I had in that mix ended up with too low of a Ph though. That was my fault from adding more sulfer the next season when I didn't really need it. That's when I learned alittle sulfer goes along way with rain water! I've actually quit using sulfer all together as my inital Ph in my mix is low enough. I haven't added any acidifiers in 2 seasons now.

Your way ahead of me so far, haven't had one berry even turn color yet but Springhigh and Snowchaser will turn any day now! I can't wait:) I'm thinking I should have hung on to Misty are couple more seasons? I gave it 2 seasons but that might not have been enough?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

BB,

Here Misty is one of the better tasting BB but has a lot of issues due to the humidity and amount of rainfall we get..it likes to up and croak for no reason lol. In a dry climate it would survive no problems but there are better varieties to have of course. I am surprised you are that far behind me, generally you and I both start ripening about the same time.

• charina
    10 years ago

BR wrote:
    Your Misty seems to be in much better shape than your Emerald.
    You feel that way even with the discloring and necrotic leaf edges on both old and young leaves? e.g. to you a little chlorosis is worse than dying tissue?
    {{gwi:74283}}
    {{gwi:74285}}

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, my blueberries are now being scrutinized like the Zapruder film. Those are leaves that didn't fall over Winter. :)

• charina
    10 years ago

Ah, that makes sense. I've only dealt with northern cultivars, none of this evergreen stuff.

I did sit on that question for more than two weeks, not really wanting to critique, but curiosity got the better of me.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

charina, I'm pretty thick skinned so I find much of the unsolicited scrutiny hilarious. I am stepping over trolls and enjoying things a lot more these days. I don't think you are someone that needs stepping over. We do run the risk of alienating members who just want to share their pictures and discuss a fun and rewarding hobby. This is our forum folks, it can be whatever we want it to be. :)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Charina,

As Clint said he is in a very warm climate and the BB tend toward evergreen so the old leaves tend to stay on. Here in Florida some leaves stay till the new leaves start to form then the old fall so it makes for prettier bushes. It is normal for his to look that way, the chlorosis is not normal. There is probably something that could be applied to defoliate the bushes but Clint would not use it anyway....he does not embrace change or new ideas easily.

Clint,

"I'm pretty thick skinned"

Really? compared to....?

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

charina, I look forward to seeing your BB when you have a chance. Lousy cell phone pics like mine are OK if that's all you have. :)

• charina
    10 years ago

Every single one I have now are new. Just potted up 19 this evening that came in today from burnt ridge. They are good healthy plants. No time for photos today. Previous experience was in Oregon a decade and a half ago. Up there there all were deciduous.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES