Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting from orange tree

Posted by sbd500 Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 16:52

We have a property where I now own an orange tree. It is now the beginning of March and I have a lot of oranges, and I also have a lot of new white buds. I have read that if the fruit is ripe (which it is), that I should pick the fruit as I need it, as the fruit will remain healthier on the tree. My question is-- wouldn't the tree be healthier if I removed the fruit now, as I am now seeing flowering buds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting from orange tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 17:07

It will flower fine with or without the fruit. My Washington navel oranges start drying out if left on the tree after about this date. But dates would be different in FL and might not apply to all citrus.

o
RE: Harvesting from orange tree

I just picked the last of my blood oranges today....made 2 gallons of juice. I do leave the grapefruit on and the lemons while the tree flowers it does no harm. The blood oranges are a different case as they are falling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here