Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the deal?

Posted by Raw_Nature 6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 16:52

I received my mail order nursery catalogs several weeks ago, just got around to looking at them now.. I noticed in a few catalogs, four seasons nursery for example, advertising 6 different dwarf fruit trees planted in a 10x20 area.. That's roughly a 5x6 tree area... Talking to you guys that is not the way to do things, way to close... What's the deal? Are they just on mini dwarf stock? Are they just trying to make a quick sale and could care less about the resuts in a few years? Anybody with experience with any of these "postage stamp orchards"? I can't stand when nurseries don't state the rootstock! Just curious, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the deal?

2,3 in one hole plantings 10' apart. Prune and manage like a garden not orchard. It would work but don't go buy a cider press just yet.

o

I understand what your trying to get across... I doubt the yield as well.. But I am talking about dwarfs spaced in a 5x6 area. Yield is probably little, huh? Anyone purchase one of this mini "orchards", did it do well? Why don't they tell you the rootstock? Patent, money game I'm guessing, or?

Thanks,
Joe

o

Joe, I have about 200 trees at 3' spacing which is about what you would get with six trees in one row 20' long. It works fine if you know how to prune it. Some trees I planted even closer, 1' or 2', and I would not repeat that experiment. Also I believe it is important to both train the trees carefully, and to summer prune twice per summer to keep size under control. All in all it is a more advanced proposition than 6' or 10' or 16' spacing..

As raven states, you will not get a lot of fruit off anything. Its great for fresh eating of different fruits, less good for huge batches for processing.

Scott

o

Scott do you have picture?

Joe

o

See the link below for some pictures I took last spring. There are two pages of pictures and click on the little pictures to see a bigger one. Several of the pictures show close plantings.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: pix

o

Man Scott, them pictures hold their weight in gold, very very very helpful! Don't be afraid to send any more pictures! I think your going to wish you never sent them, I'm going to harass you with so many questions! Anyways, you been really helpful, can't thank you enough Scott!

Appreciate it,
Joe

o

Hey Scott, nice pics. How has surround worked out for you? I plan on using it this year to try and keep thrips in check on blueberry plants. Also on peaches, citrus and blackberries.

o

I also plant in ground at 3' intervals and in wine barrels at 2.5' centers. We are a small family and each of our small 6' to 8' trees produces more than enough fruit for us.

o

You're welcome Joe.

Blueboy, Surround works extremely well on plum curculio if you start the coating early and keep it up. It can also work well on stinkbugs and Japanese beetles, and gives some protection against moths. I have never tried it on thrips.

Scott

o

Scott I had a few questions aboutthe pictures younsent me.. That blueberry hedge in the front if your house, what spacing? they are highbush right, look like rabbiteye to me..? How old are they?

That blackberry trellis: is it just one row of posts with a straight line or is there 2 rows of post parrallel with each other with two lines? What do you use as the "line"?

I was thinking about just using one row of t-post and strong wire spaced every foot up th post.. That should work right?

Appreciate it,
Joe

o

Joe,
I space vinyl coated wire for the Blackberries three feet up from the ground and the next at five. Brady

o

Thanks. Where'd you purchase your wire? I was going to space my lines every foot, seems better for the vines... I only has two 30 ft rows, so I'm not to concerned about cos of the wire... What do you do for post?

Thanks,
Joe

o

I bought the wire at a local hardware store that carries just about everything.
My posts are hundred foot tall Douglas Fir trees that I screwed eye hooks into.:) I'm going to start some more along one side of a carport,using the 4x4 supports, with sections of pipe attached at a couple of levels. Brady

o

Joe, I think the blueberries are at 2'. I also crammed in some extras in back in between, I wanted to try a few extras. They were planted in 2002 and are northern highbush. I have a newer planting of southern high bush next to them which I don't see any pictures of.

I use the same spacing of wire as Brady, it works fine. I use ~11gauge metal wire, I think I mail-ordered it from orchard valley supply. That place has lots of good trellis building stuff.

Scott

o

Your guys experience is invaluable..

Greatly appreciate all your help,
Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here