Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus/nodule on Red Delicious Apple

Posted by peapod14 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:53

hi there,

have a young (about 8ft tall 3-4yr old) red delicious tree/sapling. Its got all kinds of buds right now, looking good. But this morning we noticed on one of its limbs, and its only one limb (of about half a dozen) a series of dozens of little dark red mounds with blackish looking specks on them. In fact when we first saw it, we thought they were lady bugs. But upon prying one off, it turns out to be some sort of hollow moistish nodule that looks like its attached to the outside of the bark (the bark underneath was slightly discolored but not obviously broken). The external (red/spotted exterior is tougher). And another thing, ants seem to really like them/be interested in them. There are ants all over that one limb, and climbing all over the nodules. Nowhere else. Does anyone know what these things are? Should I manually remove?

thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus/nodule on Red Delicious Apple

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 18:54

That would be some kind of scale. Yes you can scrape them off. Treating with dormant oil and possibly an insecticide would be easier. You may be past dormant oil spray time but could still apply an all season oil.

o

Thanks a lot! Have removed all of them.

One question if I may: these things had no visible means of locomotion. No legs or wings I could see, in fact did not even seem to have a defensive reflex when flicked off onto the plate. How do they move? Specifically how did they get all clustered up on a branch 4-7ft off the ground, without any evidence of them anywhere else on the tree (or elsewhere in the garden that I could find -- checked all the fruit trees). Certainly did not have wings. Could I create a barrier on the trunk and prevent them from ever crawling up? Or do they hitch a ride with flying insects or birds or some such.

o

apologies for the last question -- looked up their life cycle and have a better understanding now. Hopefully can avoid any further problems. Thx again for the quick ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here