Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Avocado

Posted by sdelafuente 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:55

My Avocado has lots of flowers buds and its dropping a lot of them, which I know is normal. Its the first year flowering. I notice that it's dropping a lot of leaves as well. Is that normal?

I know it drops leaves during the regular season when it was not flowering. I would say it lost about 20% or more of it's leaves. Back in February, it has tons of leaves and very dense. Now it doesn't look that same. I fertilized it back in beginning of February, it has rained a few times in the past couple of months and the soil retains the moist for a long time, so I know its not a water issue. It hasn't dropped into the 30s since the beginning of the month. The temperature has been in the 60s and 70s for the past 2 weeks.

Thanks
Sal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Avocado

sdelafuente, sorry that this post fell off the grid. I was hoping that a 'cado aficionado would come along to help. I've been struggling with mine as well, and many of the trees I see around the neighborhood are also hit and miss.

I'm starting to turn a corner with mine by mulching heavily, applying Citrus-Tone fertilizer and by deep watering slowly and only as needed. At the first sign of wilting, I go for the slow/deep watering.

If you have a chance, take a picture and post it here, It might help give some clues to any problems. Hope that helps!

o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPnCKQkG2bw

found this on youtube. I guess this is normal.

My avocado has dropped most of its leaves and fruit. I has about 3 or 4 tiny fruit. I guess I will water it more often.

o

Avocados drop all their leaves annually (Late winter/early Spring usually) and traditionally flower when they look horrible. There should be signs now of new leaves beginning to form. Also, flowers bloom profusely but a small percentage set fruit. No worries there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here