Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Peach already flowering

franktank232
12 years ago

{{gwi:74472}}

Ok...so I cheated. Container peach I moved inside the house a few weeks back and put outside maybe 10 days ago. The in ground peaches are really not that far behind. The apples are showing green already and the apricots are almost at popcorn. I figure everything will go quickly if we can keep the temps going a little longer (80F right now)...

Crossing fingers we don't drop much below 30F from here on out because its going to be tough protecting all these trees. The containers at least can be moved into the garage...

Comments (15)

• sharppa
    12 years ago

Nice picture!

My peach tree in Allentown, PA is flowering as well. Apples, Asian pear, blueberries are all waking up way too soon. Crossing my fingers the weather holds on for the next two months.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yep........my apricots are already in full bloom and starting to drop petals. Plum tree the bloom buds are already white and about to open. Apple trees just starting to green up.....ditto peach. Leaf buds swelling on grapes and signs of life on raspberries. Stuff is out of typical sequence. Forsythia just starting to bloom. argh. The only thing so far on schedule are the strawberries, just waking up under the pine straw and the blueberries and quince trees.

• lindsgarden
    12 years ago

Frank,

That is a great picture. This is off-topic for this thread, but how did you manage to post the picture in your forum post?

I tried to figure that out last night (and I'll admit I'm a little desperate to get feedback on a blueberry disease issue) and the best I could do at the time was to upload a pic to another gallery . . . then cite that link in my post. Not ideal.

I would be grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks,
    lindsgarden

• calliope
    12 years ago

Upload your photo on a web photo site like snapfish or photobucket. When you do, it will give you an html code to copy and just insert that into the body of your post. It'll show as a picture on the preview.

• jimfnc
    12 years ago

for all the comments about how warm, in NC the weather service said other day this is the 8th warmest spring on record, so 8 other times it was even warmer..

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Well, I'm officially freaked out! March 20, 2012, I am wandering around my yard in SE Michigan -- apricots are out. Almond and Jap. Plum showing color. Peach won't be far behind. Magnolia stellata is open, Saucer Magnolia is showing color. Early varieties of daffodils in full bloom, hyacinths opening, crocus about done already.

Truly a sign of the Apocalypse, albeit a pretty one, IMHO.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dennis-

It was 86F in Traverse City yesterday...could top that today.

Use photobucket or something like that.

Make sure you use the

• Michael
    12 years ago

Sounds familiar Frank: on 4/9 last year, my Freedom apple was at the same growth stage as it was 3 days ago. Apricot trees in town are at FB. For some reason, Reliance hasn't opened a single bloom, not that I'm complaining, maybe it's dead ;)

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

March 23: Peach flowers started popping on Contender and Red Haven today. Looks like they will pop on Reliance tomorrow. That must explain one reason Reliance is hardier � later bloom � by only one day.

Last year was so much later, but I didn't record when, but I am guessing it was in May.

• ltilton
    12 years ago

I was concerned about a Harglow apricot when the other cots were obviously about to pop into bloom. It wasn't dead, it just isn't blooming this year. Since it's a young tree, I won't worry.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My in ground trees are showing pink.

I've got 4 apricots blooming...Harogem (1st time), Hunza, Puget Gold and Tomcot.

• stac5455
    12 years ago

Im worried too !! My peaches are in full bloom and we are going down to 29 degrees Monday night. Pears are in full bloom too. It got too hot too fast. 80's all last week. Low 60's all next week.
    Stacy

• ltilton
    12 years ago

This year is just crazy. Even my Stanley plum is in full bloom, and it's always the latest to pop. The apples, otoh, are just getting to pink.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

You probably will be okay if it only goes to 29F. In NE Iowa our two week forecast only goes as low as 34F. I have never seen anything like this. Whereas prior to bloom I hoped it would cool to slow this process down. Now I hope it stays warm.

I have three peach trees and all are partially in bloom.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Frank tank/ What kind of peach is that in your picture? I have a peach with the exact same flower. I am trying to figure out what type of peach it is. Or do most peach trees have flowers like that when they are young?

I know most are single pink with red in the middle but this one is single pink with yellow in the middle. You know? Will this begin to flower differently as it gets older?

Thank you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County