Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Ann Raspberries which have formed buds

Posted by prachi 6b (NJ) (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:09

Ok, so I understand that I am supposed to prune my Ann raspberry canes to the ground in the late winter or early spring. Well I went out today to prune them and my fruit bearing canes have some green buds growing on them.

Is there any harm in cutting these down to the ground at this point because they are technically not dormant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Ann Raspberries which have formed buds

I never cut them down, I like harvesting two crops. But it certainly won't hurt the plant to remove them. Anybody that tells you you're supposed to cut them down doesn't know what they are talking about. You can, it's an option to only harvest one crop, but "supposed to" No! You certainly can leave them and enjoy a summer harvest, just cut the top 1/3 off that fruited last fall. You may find the summer crop is actually bigger, since 2/3 of the plant didn't fruit, only the top. I average about 100 berries per cane for the summer crop.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 19:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here