Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need pollinator for Gravenstein

Posted by rehabbingisgreen zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:19

Oh boy I am having issue finding pollinator for gravenstein. I really don't want to have to buy two additional trees for it so is it possible to use an early self fertile tree to polinate it and does such a tree exist? I already have a candy crisp and a honey crisp that will need a pollinator so I have to add one more tree but I hate to have to add two additional for the Gravenstein. EEk too many trees then that I don't want. Love any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need pollinator for Gravenstein

McIntosh?

o

I found maybe a Chehalis apple might be a good tree?

I'm not sure Steve I'll check out the Mcintosh, thanks :)

o

If you don't want another tree, you could always graft a pollinator on your existing trees... Scion wood is cheap, and you have a lot of a variety!

Best of luck,
Joe

o

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to try grafting just yet. I have been looking into a crabapple IF I could find a semi dwarf to pollinate both my Gravenstein and Honeycrisp.

o

Why waste the space for a crabapple, when you could have another productive tree? You would be surprised how easy grafting is! Whats the $5 bucks if the graft doesnt take? If there us another apple tree in you area that can be used as a pollinator, you could try grafts for free! I wouldn't waste your space my friend! There are plenty of great grafting videos or books... Who am I to tell you what to do, it is your yard.

Good luck,
Joe

o

There are any number of apple pollination charts available on-line. The trouble is, most are somewhat regional so they don't always include the apple you're looking for.

Here are a few:

MSU
Raintree
Orange Pippin

Good luck!

(I'm pretty sure McIntosh will work since I have friends a block away with a Gravenstein and a McIntosh and both fruit.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here