Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahajmano

Persian Green Plum

ahajmano
11 years ago

Hi guys!

Anyone have experience with the Persian Green Plum? Mine was planted in Nov. Every other plum tree has broken dormancy except this one. Tree seems to still be alive though...

I was told it is an early variety...

Comments (10)

• armyofda12mnkeys
    11 years ago

Im in zone 7a in PA and it started breaking bud around March 10th and also had swollen green buds last year too on the same date... But it hasn't done much yet past slightly breaking bud.... Its first flowers last year were around mid March but its been a colder late winter and hasn't gotten further along. (last year, it was like 60s this weekend and this year its in the 30s).

Maybe it hasn't broken dormancy as its a new tree trying to get established?

-Arian

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dorood

Called the nursery and they said the majority of their persian green plums still have not broken dormancy either...

Don't understand why. Isn't it supposed to be an early cultivar?
    I always remembered eating goge sabz by mid April here in California.

Mochaker

• armyofda12mnkeys
    11 years ago

Dunno, Mine are def swelling bud now...
    Here are pics of it last June 23rd:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979944@N04/8059629451/in/set-72157625807935613/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979944@N04/8059629090/in/set-72157625807935613/
    My mom said an iranian guy gave cuttings to her and It looks like Gojeh Sabz...
    Those were probably the last on the tree last year we left on, I do think they were early. I'll email you when they flower and ripen here this year. Send me an email on here so I have your email.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    10 years ago

PS today the first blooms came out (4/08/2013)...
    Last year it was a bit warmer at end of winter and I think I saw first bloom earlier like around 3/15/2012,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979944@N04/8632309377/lightbox/

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool!

Yes I got one flower and two leaf sprouts in the past week. What's strange is I'm in Southern California. Strange place for late bloom.

• bonsaist
    10 years ago

It's a good thing that it blooms late. After all danger of frost. can't wait to try some.

Bass

• armyofda12mnkeys
    10 years ago

Did you have some grafted from last year Bass that will maybe produce this year? Wasnt sure if you gave to friends or kept at your house.

-Arian

• bonsaist
    10 years ago

It bloomed in a pot, then something broke the graft. So I have to start a new one again.

• persianmd2orchard
    10 years ago

Just wanted to throw out a disclaimer on Persian Green Plum fruit quality for those that may not know the description of this fruit...

I would not consider this an incredible quality fruit. It is rather a fun and nice snack. It is basically eating a firm crunchy unripe plum. We'll salt them and eat em up and they're a fun snack healthier in lieu of potato chips. But that's about it. It's not complex, rich, or remarkable in flavor, just a fun eating experience.

It reminds me of conceptually of Choghol Badom--which is unripe almonds eaten crunchy with green thick skin. I substitute eating 1inch diameter unripe apricots and peaches these days but without eating the seed (since my varieties are all bitter kernals). This is pretty much the same experience as Choghol Badom except with almonds you can eat the whole thing.

It reminds me of Persian Green Plum or Goje Sabz. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat up a ton of this fast if someone gives me a bowl of it... but I put in the category of popcorn and chips more in my mind than a truly rich fruit.

• Tha Pranksta
    9 years ago

Sounds like the squirrels might actually leave them on the tree. :-D I occasionally had apples and plums that taste similar to what you describe when I was growing up but I don't know if I was eating them unripe or they just tasted that way fully developed.