Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any point to growing Bali/Evans cherry in NJ ?

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b)%3B NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 17:29

Hi,

I'm growing the following varieties of sour cherry: Northstar; Montmorency; and Jublieum.

Is there any advantage to me having an 'Evans/Bali' cherry, since I can grow the above (I'm in zone 6b), assuming I can even get by with growing this variety in my comparatively warmer climate. Some have had success, it seems, in my zone, yet others haven't in a slightly colder zone, surprisingly.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any point to growing Bali/Evans cherry in NJ ?

Probably I wouldn't bother....that's stretching it, I've been hearing up to zone 5 or colder.

o

I'm a fan of Evans so I'll point out a few differences I've noticed between Evans, Northstar, and Montmorency. For me, Northstar and Montmorency were smaller and Northstar has been very sour. Evans produces much more heavily and has larger fruit. It also seems much sweeter than the others, although that may be because I net the Evans as it isn't ripe until a couple weeks after it turns red and the others I pick as soon as they redden and try to beat the birds.

Another trait of Evans is that it ripens several weeks after the others, extending the season unless you have disease pressures that would take the later bearing fruit.

o

No. Been there, done that. It doesn't work here.
Yes, it's later-bearing, but that just makes it possible for plum curculio and other insect pests here to damage all the fruits.

o

how tall and wide does it typically get?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here