Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lime sulfur vs red berry mites

Posted by thisbud4u San Diego (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 17:29

My local farm store just told me that new Federal pesticide regulations have taken lime sulfur off the market. Looks like those idiots in Washington have done it again. Does anybody know an alternative (preferably organic) spray for red berry mites on cane fruits such as blackberries and boysenberries?
Any help MUCH apprecidated!
ThisBud4U

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lime sulfur vs red berry mites

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 23:55

To tell the truth, the manufacturer voluntarily removed it.

o

Lime sulfur is pretty easy to make and the same farm store will have what you need (sulfur and quicklime or hydrated lime, I forget which, though you can easily make the latter from the former). Google it or look in an old book on fruit growing.

o

If someone finds that recipe, I would be interested. I also have called nearly every garden center in miles and was unable to find lime sulfur spray. I didn't feel like paying all the postage to have any mailed. I suspect I already have all the ingredients on hand to make it. Also, does anyone know how soon one can apply it to dormant fruit trees after spraying them with copper spray in the spring? Or are the two redundant?
Northwoodswis

o

You would have to vastly reduce the amounts proportionally, use a cast iron pot (though stainless would probably be fine), and do the "cooking" outside because of smell (a grill would be good).

I'd bet MG Kain's "Home Fruit Growing" (1930s or 40s) has an easy smaller recipe.

I bought a few bottles of LS as I had heard about some upcoming shortage, but will have to make my own thereafter. I notice that Canada just re-approved LS (2009).

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1525/

o

bananas,

Thanks for the reference, I love looking at old books. Kains's book was published in 1918, which means that it's out of copyright and available for free online from Google Books. I think the recipe you're referring to is on pg 92, although his recipe makes a batch of 50 gallons! I'm not sure how many home fruit growers need 50 gals of lime sulphur :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kains's book on Google

o

If someone tries making this in a smaller batch, let me know how it goes. However, book mentions the spray is useless for fungi in winter, which was when I thought one was supposed to use it.

o

One caveat that seems worth mentioning is that this stuff is pretty nasty (assuming you can even figure out how to correctly make it), and the chances are pretty good that you would seriously burn your plants if you got the concentrations wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here