Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 Questions: Blackberries & Strawberries

Posted by skeeters_garden 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 17:53

Blackberries and Raspberries:

Is it possible rabbits could have eaten some of my blackberry and raspberry vines over the winter? The vines on plants closet to the house are 3-6' in some places, the vines towards the back of the yard (where it's clser to a field) are much smaller and some are broke off complety - or appear to be just nubs with no vines now. They were planted last year and wer 2 year old plants from Rural King - they were all doing excellent by the fall - so was surprise to see some of them in that condition. I really need to get on building a good trellis this spring now.

Strawberries:

I read that it's good to mow down strawberries in the fall - but I did not do that. Should I do it now while their still dormant? Is there a need or benefit to doing so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 Questions: Blackberries & Strawberries

Yeah, rabbits will eat 'em.

I'm still learning about strawberries, but here's what I would do based on my experiences so far -- leave them alone. And then when they begin to flower in late spring or summer, pull all the flowers for the first week or two. Then blammo -- they will grow like you wouldn't believe and this will revitalize them. Not to worry -- they will also send out dozens more flowers. But the plants will be stronger and more lively as a result of delaying the flowering a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here