Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing strawberries vertically

Posted by leemom3 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 17:58

Hello. This is my first year attempting strawberries, so I am a bit ignorant of much about these plants. Can they be grown with the runners trained vertically? I intend to grow in a raised bed, square foot garden, and thought I'd try strawberries against where the netting will be. Will this work? If so, can I plant them a bit closer together than if I weren't growing vertically? I would like to get as much out of my small area as possible.
Thanks,
Lee-Ann, southern NJ (zone 6)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing strawberries vertically

Lee-Ann:

Trying to grow strawberry runners trained to netting does not sound like a practical idea. The trained runners might produce a berry or two, but they produce best when the runners are allowed to sink roots into the ground. They cannot be supplied with adequate nutrients by the runner stem alone, and will be spindly and nonproductive.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

I agree with jellyman. Strawberries would not grow well if you tried to train them like that, as the runners produce daughter plants, which definitely need to root to produce any quantity of berries.

I also wouldn't crowd them too much. Strawberries need to spread somewhat.

o

The runners of strawberries are not like the runners of ivy ... or other plants whose life cycle includes attaching to something to achieve vertical growth. They don't make those curling tendrils to help them .... they want to root into the soil.

o
RE: Growing strawberries vertically: raspberries?

Thank you for all the information about growing strawberries. You are giving me much needed information for this new project.
Let's switch to raspberries...vertically, or not?
Thanks,
Lee-Ann

o

Raspberries grow vertically, but I don't think they're all that well suited for square foot gardening. They tend to send up new canes all over the place, so you'll have trouble keeping them contained in a small area. Also, you don't want to plant them up against a fence, as you'll only be able to pick half of the fruit. Leaving fruit on the plants to rot can encourage fruit rots.

Raspberries also need to be grown on a simple trellis. I don't think that the netting you describe would really work as a trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here