Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_t

Triple Crown trellis and pruning pictures

larry_t
16 years ago

Here are some follow up pictures of my Triple Crown blackberries. I'm sure they aren't the best plants in the world, but this shows the progression of them through different stages, and may be helpful to those who are growing them. Some of the pictures have been posted before, but this is an update.

Here's the trellis. 4 x 4 treated posts, with 2 x 4 treated across the top. About 32' total length.

{{gwi:75080}}

Here's the canes that grew the summer of 2006, and bore fruit in 2007.

{{gwi:75081}}

Here's one of the canes that started growing in the summer of 2007 and will bear fruit in the summer of 2008.

{{gwi:75082}}

Here's what those canes looked like at the end of summer 2007. What a mess. Laterals that are 10' - 20' long, and many taking root.

{{gwi:75083}}

And, finally, what those canes looked like after pruning a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is the best way to prune, but the laterals have been cut back to 18" - 36" long. That may be too long because there may be too much overlap, especially because there are 3 large canes close together. But, I didn't want to completely remove one of those canes. I'll see what happens.

{{gwi:75084}}

I hope this is helpful.

Larry

Comments (17)

• estreya
    16 years ago

Exquisite property! Thank you for sharing your photographs. Do i spy an orchard between the berries and the hills? What kind of trees are they?

• paulc_gardener
    16 years ago

I have Doyle berries that grow the same as yours. Each cane is supposed to be terminated at 8 ft. Then that cane will start producing side shoots and terminated at 2 ft. All of the side shoots that are close to the ground should be cut off so you don't have to sit on the ground to harvest. Your trellis system looks good and strong. The canes that produced last year need to be cut off at ground level.

• larry_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The first picture is facing our neighbor's property. The second picture shows some of our orchard. The trees are white, from the Surround spray I use on them. I have a mixture of apple, plum, peach, nectarine, cherry, apricots, and pears. The trees were planted 3 years ago, March 2005.

Larry

• tdave8666
    16 years ago

Uh oh. Now I'm scared. They get that big? I'm hosed.

• villandry
    16 years ago

Larry,

Aren't the canes of Triple Crown amazing. My neighbor planted a few 2 years ago. You could use them as a broom handle. Nice property BTW... :) He offered me a few but I didn't have the room for them.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

I have Triple Crown on order, i need to build something once the ground thaws.

• estreya
    16 years ago

Planted only three years ago! Wow, they look so full and healthy. And what a nice selection of tasties. Sorry i hijacked your thread.

• jim49631
    16 years ago

What do you use for fertilizer? I planted four
    plants of triple crown last year.

• greenthumbnick
    16 years ago

Nice!! Thanks for the photos Larry.

nick

• larry_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just use 10-10-10 or 5-10-10 or whatever I have around. But, I need to take a visit to my neighbors horse pasture and collect some "organic" fertilizer there.

• garbird
    16 years ago

I like your property. I wish I had land like that.
    I am planning to build some kind of trellis system for my new Triple Crown Blackberries, and like how you built yours. I was just wondering if the 2X4's on the top are really neccessary. What is their purpose? I was planning to use some heavy galvanized clothesline wire that I salvaged.Lmk please
    Thanks, Garbird

• larry_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, the 2x4s across the top are what prevent the posts from tipping in. If you don't have them, and you pull your wire tight, or even if you leave the wire loose, and get weight from the berries on the wires, it can pull the posts in.

As an alternative, you might be able to use a "deadman" system to keep the poles straight. If you Google fence building deadman you'll find some hits explaining how the deadman works. If you have a long span, and don't want to put 2x4s all the way across the top, the deadman might be a better system, but I've never used it.

I don't know if the clothesline wire will work or not. You could try it, and if it doesn't you can always replace. Of course if it breaks when it's full of canes, which is when it will happen, it will be a tangled mess.

• paulc_gardener
    16 years ago

I use a large deadman on each end. You will have to use #9 brace wire. Anything smaller will streach and sag.

• jim49631
    16 years ago

Thanks Larry,
    I also use 10-10-10, I used compost and
    brought the ph to around 5.9 before I planted them.
    How long does it take to get berries.I am new at
    this and trying to get as much info as possible.

• glenn_russell
    16 years ago

Hi all-
    My trellis looks a bit different than larry_t's, so I figured I would share it. I fully admit that I know very little, but this seemed to work for me. I was looking for something that was strong, wouldn't rot, and would obscure my view of our woods as little as possible (thus why it's painted green), especially in the winter (when there are no leaves on the vines). I think this was a bit more expensive to make it this way, but so far, I think it's worked out nicely. Basically it's painted iron pipe, and 1/16 green vinyl coated cable. (ItÂs a bit hard to see the green cable in the picture but then again, thatÂs kinda the idea) This time of year isn't the best for taking pictures... O'well. Also, there are a couple other black raspberry plants in that bed which are just there as a temporary place to store them. I have a new bed which I'll be moving them to this week. Anyway, this year, I'll make a similar trellis this year, but it will be big enough for 6 blackberries instead of 2. Thoughts? Thanks, -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:75078}}

• larry_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim - if you plant now, you should get berries next summer, 2009. This first year you'll get some canes and laterals. Next year you'll get berries on the laterals.

Glenn - I like your trellis. How far is the pipe setting into the ground. Is it in concrete?

• glenn_russell
    16 years ago

Hi Larry_t

I don't remember exactly, but I think it's down about 2.5 feet... just in the dirt... no concrete. I used a cap so I could drive it in with a hand-sledge. It's quite sturdy. I would be surprised if the top swayed more than a couple inches when fully loaded up with leaves, even in the heaviest of winds.

I planted them in 2006, so last year was the first year I could get berries... but only on the lower part of the plants due to their previous year's size. This year, I'm hoping for many more now that they've grown.

I've just given them an inch or two of compost, and will give them some fertilizer soon.

Ah! I just figured out how to get the pics in-line. Here's the trellis:
    {{gwi:75078}}

And here are some of my first berries.
    {{gwi:75079}}

These are Chester blackberries... This year, I'll purchase 3 more of them, and then 3 Triple Crown's. I've also got a ton of wild ones in the woods. They're tasty too, but very thorny, quite seedy, and small.

As many people have said, beautiful setup you have there. For me, it's always a challenge to find a spot in my yard where the plants will get ample light. Got to take down more trees... to make room for my trees. :-)

Thanks,
    -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:75079}}