Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bayer Advanced on Fruit Trees

Posted by samsthumb 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 18:01

My Mom is getting older and can't spray her fruit trees anymore. Is it possible to use a pour on product like Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub on her fruit trees this spring? Would it keep the worms out of the apples and peaches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bayer Advanced on Fruit Trees

You can use it against scale and other sucking insects, but it isn't effective on
Apple maggot or plum curculio.

o

Will bayer address Japanese beetles? Any simple method she can use for non-sucking? Trees are too tall for her to spray.

o

No, there is not a systemic product that is taken up by the roots to protect fruit crops. Even the able bodied hate spraying but there's just no way around it if you want to grow conventional fruit in the humid regions. Even in the more arid regions mounting pest pressure is requiring more and more intervention with some kind of spray program.

o

who would want to eat a fruit that has been treated systemically ????

though i have no qualms about proper use of chemicals..

ingesting them is not high on my list ..

BTW.. is this a LABELED USE of said product.. if not.. there is your answer ...

is there a budget to hire out the spraying???

if not.. then its either time for the orchard to go.. or to enjoy them as flowering trees.. and harvest just a few of whatever decent fruit she gets ....

at some point.. it would be easier to buy a bushel for canning.. rather than deal with the upkeep of the orchard.. presuming that is why she needs the trees ....

ken

o

I would try and find someone to help and then share some of the fruit in exchange. Picking it from a tall tree is hard work too. Maybe there is room for some new shorter trees.

I wouldn't like to eat anything treated with Bayer and it's very bad for bees which we all need.

o

Ken, the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub is labeled for certain fruit trees, apples, pears, quince, and pecans among them. Not for stone fruits.

However, the Bayer Advanced Fruit and Vegetable formulation is the same AI, and labeled for many crops. It is a significantly lower concentration of the AI than the Tree and Shrub concentrate formula sold in gallons.

o

thx denn..

who knew..

not really being an eco-warrior.. i still think i would pass on eating such ...

ken

o

There's also the point about what pests you need to control and as far as I know your truly damaging pests won't be affected by this product. Aphids are a relatively minor pest of fruit plants- what's tough are beetles like plum curculio and bugs such as stinkbugs and tarnished plant bug as well as moths such as Coddling and Oriental fruit moth.

o

Thanks all of you. I think I knew the answer, just enjoy what fruit you get and enjoy the flowering trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here