Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would u do?

Posted by Raw_Nature 6 NE OH (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 18:06

I have a 7x30 area - running east to west. I am going to plant fruit trees. If it were you how would you go about it - what size/kind of trees, spacing,pruning,grafting,etc would you do? I am looking for maximum yield, for the most part. I posted something similar and got good advice, but I would like some more ideas. How would you plant out fruit trees in a 7x30 area running east to west?

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would u do?

See how many direct sun hours In early may, late June and
late august. Usually orchards run N/S to maximize light efficiency. I'd also see if I get early morning sun as this helps keep disease down and help with your choices. Looks like dwarf/ semidwarf might be good. What types of fruit do you like? Could you post a picture?

o

I cannot post a picture at the moment. I know it at least gets 4-5 hours at the minimum.it gets sun from about 12-1 to 6-7 I would say. I am also going to plant several trees north/south in the north - center of my yard.. For now I am just figuring out this east/west strip.. I like all fruit, but have limited space. I intend to plant apples,pears,peaches,apricots,plums,cherries.. What would u do?

Thanks,
Joe

o

Raw, I would start reading books on fruit culture, pruning and placement. It all takes time, but the knowledge you will glean will be very good. After reading, your questions will be answered in a far simpler form and your understanding will be easier as well. Mrs. G

o

I have some books... What's the best books you encountered? Would appreciate all the ideas/help I can get! Springs closing in and I need to get an idea of what my blueprint looks like...

Thanks

Joe

o

Use link to see the path of sun at your property. You can put various times of year on it to see the different paths/exposure...

Here is a link that might be useful: suncalc.net

o

I grew plants last years just not that familiar with fruit trees, I know exactly where the sun is on my property - it runs east/west parallel with trees I would like to plant. It gets sun from 12-2 to 6-8 depending on time of year. I was hoping someone with some expertise who plants fruits trees all the time would chime in...

Anyhow thanks,

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here