Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rloco007

i need an expierianced raspberry indoor controled inviroment agri

rloco007
10 years ago

to whom it may concern
hello i am Romanos Chaar from Lebanon found this page while researching and i am glad that i did, the website guided me on few questions that where on my mind, although i still have a few. i would be grateful for any reply thank you . :)

I have a 400m�2 under ground basement with no access to any sort of natural sunlight its always dark, I would like to plant raspberries in my basement but the problem is that i need some help knowing the stages that the raspberry plant over takes as in what should my lighting schedule be from seed to maturity ( vegetative stage ) and how should i alter my scheduled for the flowering stage.

temperature: what are the i deal temps of a raspberry tree during the vegetative and flowering ?
maximizing outcomes : after i harvest the raspberry tree how do i make it flower again ?

Thank you for you cooperation, from Romanos Chaar

Comments (9)

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

It would be a big experiment, here are some estimates:

The plants should be under bright light for at least half the hours the sun is up in your location, this will vary by season.

A fan will be required to create air movement near the plants.

Temperatures should be between 60 and 80 degrees.
    During the winter the temperature needs to be between 32 and 45 degrees for several hundred hours, spread over many weeks. Perhaps you can find a variety that does not require this chilling phase.

The plant does not re-flower, it is removed after all fruit is done and the new canes that sprouted are used for next year, those will bloom in the spring.

If you are actually starting from seed, this will take several years. The amount of electricity required will make these berries very expensive, unless you are keeping your basement lighted up like high noon for other purposes.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

It is extremely difficult to sprout from seed. A sulfuric acid scarification is needed. (3 hours in full strength sulfuric acid)And also a very long stratification at 60 F for at least 4 weeks. A wet stratification too. (In the fridge for a month)
    Baba berry might not need any chill hours, all others I
    know of do, unless growing some tropical Rubus species.
    Regular raspberries need the chill Larry mentions.

• rloco007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey Larry and drew i am thankful for your comments im sure il take what you guys told me into consideration,anyways i am building an experimental grow room thinking off starting it off hydroponically so i wouldn't have potting issues therefore il benefit from any extra space, now Larry i was told that indoor cultivation is much faster than those put outdoors so dont you think that it should be producing fruits accordingly to the seasons i provide, like for example a cannabis tree requires 18/6hrs of light during veg and 12/12 during flower and the whole processes takes 3 months;on the other hand outdoors it takes 6 months, so my conclusion from seed to maturity it takes a plant half the time it takes it out doors due to the controlled environment you provide . if i am wrong plz correct me thx again..... i like this page its very helpful :D

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Their are two types of raspberries, Summer bearing and fall bearing. Fall bearing can have 2 crops a year. Summer bearing has one. Summer bearing raspberries need 2 years before they will fruit. Fall bearing will fruit the first year. Once a cane fruits it is removed, or the portion that fruited is removed. The crown produces more canes. It's not a tropical plant, so behaves nothing like Cannabis.
    I don't think cannabis requires a "winter" raspberries do, else they will not fruit.

Yes it might mature quicker indoors? I don't think anybody has ever tried it. Since none of us can provide winter chill indoors, we grow them outside.

• rloco007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

exactly what i was thinking drew51 !! i thought of the idea of converting my basement into a temporary fridge because as you told me the bababerries needs low chill requirement of 200 to 300 hrs so that means that the fridge would be on 12 to 13 days per two harvests (season) because it bares fruit twice once in June and the next one in September but then i remembered that there is gonna be alot of ventilation coming in and out of the basement through 10' ducting although my basement would be fully insulated i will have vent machines for in and out do you think that it will work for refrigeration if not and tried stopping the ventilation shouldn't the refrigeration do the job of providing new oxygen ??

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Note also that unlike blackberries, raspberries require pollination, this is usually done by bees. It would be very tedious to do it by hand.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/blog/growing-hydroponic-raspberries

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg041345316972.html?17

http://www.hydroponics.com.au/year-round-raspberry-production/
    (mentions cycling through cold storage)

Buy plants to start. If you sprout seeds, you will have a tiny plant after many months, may take over 2 years to get something that blooms.

• rloco007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you larry your sources helped me alot decided to drop the case it aint worth the hassle bro :OOO ; il plant smth tropical, anyways thank you both for helping me out :D

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Thank you for an unconventional idea that prompted my research. It appears that some commercial growers are attempting to provide year-round raspberries via cold-storage timing and cycling--but this is all being done above ground.

• rloco007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha your welcome its what makes me proud of myself finding ideas not keeping them to myself helping others will help me, around here our market is still unsaturated unlike the states or any developed country for example our winters are cold enough to plant raspberries in greenhouses year along and have high yields due to the cold winter and hot summers, but i don't know why we import them and we only have one supplier;in my case i don't wanna waste time and investment i want something that suites my situation that's why i decided to bail out of plants with chilling requirements

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company