Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green gage plum rootstock damage

Posted by Jerseymec 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 18:11

Would anyone be able to tell me whats going on with my plum tree. I planted it last spring and I was doing a check on all my trees today and I see this on my plum tree, on the rootstock only just below the bud union. Doesnt look like rabbit damage. The barks seems to be shredding vertically along the length of the trunk. The rest of the tree seems fine. I covered my tree with a tree wrap and took it off a week ago and it was fine. Will the tree survive? Do I need to do any special spraying/care? Is it a disease of the rootstock? Everything was under snow, which is just beginning to melt but the ground is very wet. I covered the tree base with a white tree protector roll.

Thanks a lot.
Jerseymec.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green gage plum rootstock damage

Hard to say..., tree will grow fine and the damage will grow in over time. Can't comment on spraying,..not needed here.
Might reveal more with a close up shot, sharp picture.

o

My best guess is it got hit by something. It should heal fine with time.

Scott

o

What about mice working on the inside of your tube?

o

Thanks guys!! I'm just wondering if this could be freezing damage? I sprayed it with Copper today anyways.. will that cause more problems? Here is another sharper picture. Should take the protectory tube off the tree?

o

The closer picture does look like mouse, or rather, vole chewing. Any shallow pathways under the leaves? It was a bad vole and rabbit year here in southeast NY and probably worse in Jersey with all your snow.

o

Here is a pic of the good side ( upslope)

o

The discoloring of the bark, [dark] at the bottom is a bit of a concern,.. is it from watering? If so, it should grow fine,..not freezing damage.

o

Thanks again guys. I will check and make sure the tubes are all the way down so mice cant get in. I took this pic an hour after spraying copper so yes its wet. Can't wait for spring, if its not cancelled for this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here