Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Few flowers on Orient Pear

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 18:19

We have a 13+ year old Orient Pear that has never put on much over a dozen flowers in a season. These are scattered throughout the crown rather than occurring on just one or two branches. It's topping 20 ft, gets sun, and appears healthy in all other aspects. Know this is not normal as we planted one in Houston that bloomed fully the first year and was holding fruit by the fifth.

Would keep it for the flowers even if it didn't set fruit; but without flowers, it will be mulch by August unless someone has ideas for its rehab. It was purchased from a usually reliable local nursery, but thinking now we got a dud. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Few flowers on Orient Pear

thinking it is a dud, also.

o

Your'e very patient. An orient should have fruit here in Dallas in 4-6 years. I'd have given up years ago.

Maybe the tree's mislabeled, maybe its on the wrong rootstock, maybe its just a bad spot for pears. At 20ft, it's hard for me to believe its overstressed.

o

@bhawkins: More oblivious than patient. Can't see it from a window, so thought I was just missing the bloom as there were a few flowers still on it as it leafed out - though in hindsight there were never many petals on the ground. Thought the lack of fruit might be that it was actually a mislabeled variety that is not self-fertile. But watched it daily this year to confirm it's just not blooming right. Don't think it is location because it is situated on the property much like the Houston tree that performed as you described it should. Thanks for confirming it should have been producing long ago in Dallas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here