Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for aceofspades (Grover Barnett)

Has anyone heard from aceofspades (Grover Barnett) recently? He and I were going to swap some stuff, and I have not heard back from him despite several emails. I sent him some budwood, he was getting ready to send me a pretty big shipment. But, no answers to my emails, which is odd, he's been really good with communications. He is on Long Island, NY and in trying to find him, I came across some disturbing news out there. Hoping someone knows Grover or knows what might be going on? If you need to send me an email, you can do that through my Garden Web profile. Thanks!

Patty S.

Comments (31)

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

patty,
    Now that you mention it, I've not 'seen' him here since Hurricane Sandy.
    I'm afraid he may no longer be among us - a quick search brought up an obit, indicating that a Grover Barnett of Baldwin NY passed on 15 Feb 2013. Hope it's not him, but looks likely.

Here is a link that might be useful: obit

• c5tiger
    11 years ago

He was the first person I exchanged scion with. Really nice guy, helped me out a lot on my first try at grafting.

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

Best of luck finding him Patty
    Hope he is out touring with Motorhead
    & said disturbing news is untrue

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I sure hope so as well. This was exactly what I found when I tried Googling his name and address. I fear he has passed. He is such a nice guy, this would be so very tragic. He's younger than me.

Patty S.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Thats very sad news. I traded with Grover several times, and he was very nice about picking up stuff at faraway exchanges and mailing it to me. He was posting here as late as last month and it sounds like it was something sudden. The obit location is close to the address I have for him. But you never know, his name could be common in that area.

Scott

Original Author
    11 years ago

I sure hope it isn't him, Scott. There seems to be a few Grover Barnetts in the area. The man in the obit also has a father with the same name as well. If anyone can reach out to him, I would appreciate it. I've sent 3 or 4 emails over the last week or so with no response, which is unusual for him. He's been good at always responding to my emails.

Patty S.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Patty, Scott, and all.

I just exchanged some scionwoods with him in January 11. I sent him the woods and I got the woods from him. I hope he is OK.

"Re: Scionwoods
    To: Tony Tran
    Date: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 4:31 pm
    Ok you can send your new scion woods and I'll send you your scions that you listed.

Grover Barnett

Brentwood NY 11717"

• murkwell
    11 years ago

Wow,

I started reading this message thinking how inappropriate to give his personal information before I got the part about worrying about whether he is still alive.

Just yesterday, I think, I came accross a picture of us together at a Home Orchard Society event a few years ago.

He's been very generous and inspirational and just an all around warm guy.

I hope he reads this thread and get a chuckle, but the circumstantial evidence is not encouraging.

• murkwell
    11 years ago

It doesn't look good. I found this quote from a memorial for Grover R. Barnett:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/newsday/guestbook.aspx?n=grover-barnett&pid=163172714&cid=full

"...He was a soldier of light in the darkest of times. His genuine joy and love for all living creatures, great or small will be sorely missed. We are left to fill a chasm with memories of a man that delighted in the beauty of nature and found peace becoming a guardian to honey bees, free range hens and rescued cats and dogs..."

I don't know that Grover kept bees or free range hens, but it all sounds like him. My address for him is in Brentwood and the funeral home says Baldwin which is apparently about 30 miles away.

Those people finder websites are notoriously innaccurate, so I don't put much stock in the fact that they list Grover R. Barnett as having addresses in Brentwood and Baldwin (they also list other middle names and have probably jumbled several people together).

• murkwell
    11 years ago

In 2010 Grover Barnett of Brentwood signed a petition to legalize beekeeping in NYC according to this URL.

Sobering and sad. It's warming to see that others were touched by him.

Here is a link that might be useful: bee keeping petition

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Death is sad but inevitable. What is wonderful is that people this man never met have been touched by his life. I think I'll put in my will to have someone post my obit on this site if it's still active when I die. The people of his personal community probably had no idea of his importance to us here.

I wonder if anyone is caring for his orchard.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

That really sucks. I owe my mishirasu, tennosui, and several others. And I was just going to send something to him.
    Never met him in person, but he'll be missed on this forum also and remembered through his generosity.

• bberry_gw
    11 years ago

That may not be the Grover that we know. I certainly hope not. I have traded scions with him on numerous occasions and he has been most generous. I searched for some time to find Supreme plum scion wood for him without success. He has helped so many that if he is ok I hope we can all help find this cultivar for him. I know it is in Canada but I was not able to get it for him. Hope for the best here.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I surely hope this is not our Grover Barnett, but I have not heard back from him now after 4 emails over two weeks. That makes me very worried. Grover was always very good at returning emails and staying in contact. I have sent a message to the funeral home to see if they will respond and confirm. It would be terribly sad, and yes, we all have to face our Maker at some time, but my gosh, according to the obit, he was 48 or 49? That's too young to go. I'm very sad.

Patty S.

• olpea
    11 years ago

I never traded with him but did share conversation with him on this forum and in personal emails. Not only offered to share scionwood with me but offered his knowledge to me as well. How can you not like a guy like that.

In the past he's had some long periods where he didn't post, so I'm hoping that's all it is now.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Patty,
    I emailed Grover also but no answer. Here is the link below that showed that Grover R Barnett in Brentwood has a alias Grover B(Butch like in obit) Barnett. I have a real bad feeling about this.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Grover R Barnett

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Been following this thread... I've seem to find the same info as the rest. Sounds a lot like that it could be him, which is way too bad. I've read his comments over the years, but never personally had contact with him (through email/scion). Seemed to know his stuff and had a large selection of fruit.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, Tony, I do, too. Olpea, I know he is in and out of the forum, but in the past, he's been very good about emailing me back. No response from him via email now for two weeks.

Patty S.

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

I find this odd how sad it is to worry about someone I don't know
    but so many people here have taught me techniques
    & helped with my cultivar selections
    I guess it makes sense since he has been one helpful guy
    & I really do like that song

• superpoutyduck
    11 years ago

I keep checking this thread, hoping to see a post from him clarifying everything. I'm not a regular here, but even I recognize his name. Hoping for the best.

• lycheeluva
    11 years ago

Unfortunately Grover died of a sudden heart attack about 3 weeks away. I was at his wake. I became friendly with him through this forum and had been on a couple of fruit hunting trips to florida with him. His girlfriend called to tell me the sad news.
    I actually tried to post a thread about it here at the time, but I think a moderator must have removed it (or maybe I somehow to click submit).
    Really devastating. he was only about 50 and seemed as fit as a fiddle. very big burly guy who ate healthy and worked outdoors his whole life. really generous guy who will really be missed.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, lychee. We were all afraid this was our Grover Barnett, I am so very, very sad! He was such a kind person, and so generous with his time!! He had trees on order for me from ACN (we had placed a joint order together) that have probably arrived by now, and are just sitting at his place!! If you talk with his girlfriend, let he know that several trees were coming to him from ACN! And let her know he was very much liked and will be missed on this forum. Oh dear. My heart is very sad to lose one of our GW members. Thank you for confirming what we all feared. So extremely sad.

Patty S.

• lycheeluva
    11 years ago

you know, I will pass this thread on to his girlfriend and ask her to pass this on to Grover's fam. I'm sure they will be so touched to see how sad people are here for him and well he was liked.

• mamuang_gw
    11 years ago

My sincere condolences to his family and his girlfriend. I've read many of his posts over the years. Even though I had never had direct communication with him, I truly appreciate his knowledge and contributions.

I totally agree with Patty. Ace was very much liked by many of us and will be misssed. So sad.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

My condolences as well. He was so young. Not sorry for him- an exceptionally good way to go, but so sorry for family and girl friend.

I too had given him scions and he insisted on sending scions in return although it was budding season when I've no time to graft.

• maryhawkins99
    11 years ago

I traded scions with him also. Very nice guy. Very knowledgeable.

• Tony
    11 years ago

My deepest sympathy to his family and girlfriend. I have been trading scions with Ace for about four years with many emails. My only regret was never met him in person. Ace and I have talked about going the HOS someday together. Truly a gentleman.

Tony

• wildforager
    11 years ago

Oh man! I have scionwood in the fridge that I got from Grover not long ago. I'm sad to hear the news. He will be missed....for sure.

• ligrower
    11 years ago

Sadly I will not get to tour his orchard this summer. I will miss his comments. We shared a zone and a great hobby. He will be missed.

• macmanmatty2
    11 years ago

wow I traded with him too on numerous occasions. He was so nice. He will be missed

Original Author
    11 years ago

Very sad. He was such a nice person and very generous. He will be missed. I hope his family is healing and his girlfriend is able to find some peace. So hard to lose a loved one so abruptly like this. We just lost our brother-in-law rather suddenly, and our family is still hurting, especially his wife and 3 daughters.

Patty S.