Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questor3

Kocide 3000 mix ratio advice

questor3
14 years ago

Have now received my Kocide 3000 from Johnny's as per so many recomendations here, and have now gone over the accompanying user guide. I am not seeing the proper suggested useage info regarding rates that apply to me. It is geared towards large orchard usage. Can some one here please advise me on the proper broken down mix rates for in a 2 gallon mix for instance? I did the forum search thing here, and still have not located what I need or want to see there, either. The label states 3.5 - 7.0 lbs per acre. How does a small orchard person actually best measure ounces of "powder" to be used in such small batches? ?Such as 1 tablespoon = 1 ounce for instance? What mix ratio is working for those of you having success with this product on Apples? Does the same % mix basically work on both pomes and stones? I believe I prefer a strong end of suggested range mix now for this first time app, as I did not get a fall application down. I will be mixing it with a dormant oil as well. I only recently came across this forum and it's usefull advice(have been studying up on much of it this past Winter), so this will be my first season of managed controls. Thank you in advance for any helpful advice, I do appreciate it...questor3

Comments (11)

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

Hi questor3-
    This question has come up here before because others have had the very same question. In the end, we all found the calculations very difficult, if not impossible to do. Possibly Michael357 may have come up with something, but I'm not sure. For me, in the end, (and this is the only pesticide that I've done this with), I wound up going with Jellyman and Scott Smith's advice of 2 tbsp per gallon. But, the 2 tbsp per gallon was actually formulated with the less effective Kocide2000 and Scott (and possibly Jellyman?) are backing the dosage down to 1.5 or even 1 tbsp per gallon. I was going to back mine down to 1.5 tbsp/gallon this year, and then if all goes well, down to 1 tbsp/gal next year. Make sense?
    -Glenn

• ramble
    14 years ago

I got mine and the website said 1-2 TBS. per gallon.

I plan to call the manufacturer to confirm.

• questor3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all. Some good stuff comming from everybody. Way to nail it down Michael357. I knew I would be in good hands here...:~)

Glen,
    Yes, your plan to back off does make sense. Do so incrementally, so as to judge ongoing effectiveness. I feel that I should do a strong ended approach on the recommended rate scale this time around. I have never applied any Copper before, and may have a mix of issues to address. So can scale back from that.

• Beeone
    14 years ago

Michael is going about it the same way I do when I convert rates per acre down to rates per gallon or very small areas, except I don't use metrics if I can avoid it (when I find I need to calculate in grams or fractions of an ounce, I take it to the post office and ask the postmistress to weigh the proper amount on her scale for me, then mark my measuring container.)

One important point here, though, is that if you are dealing with powders and the rates are given by weight, you really need to use a scale to get your measurements. If the amount you want to use works down to 1 oz, a tablespoon may be one liquid ounce, but will not be 1 ounce by weight. So, weigh out the proper weight of the chemical, then measure it and write that down so in the future you can use volume measures and know you are getting the correct weight. Each chemical will vary because it's density will vary.

• Michael
    14 years ago

Beeone: your P.O. story made me laugh! I live in a 200 pop. town with a P.O. but something tells me our postmistress would never let me use her scale for weighing out cides. Actually, I use my reloading scale that measures in grains which adds another conversion to the process. The gravimetric to volumetric idea is very good but since I only have Kocide to weigh and haven't found an acceptable spoon, I just weigh it.

Here's to your postmistress!

• Joanie54
    11 years ago

Great advice by all . I have a question about when to apply to a small orchard of apple and peach trees?? I just finished an dormant application on apple and peach trees. The buds have just swelled. When should I reapply and when should I discontinue??

• franktank232
    11 years ago

I sprayed my trees about 10 days ago, but with all this rain (over 4 inches), i wonder if i shouldn't spray again... Still time. I think PLC will be horrible this year if not sprayed.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Joanie, it depends on how bad your diseases are, etc. If they are not bad you have done enough copper until leaf drop. With big problems more copper can be done later. I did my one peach/plum copper and thats all they get. I had bad fireblight last year on apples; they already had one copper at green tip and are going to get one more round before the blooms come out. Later copper sprays are at more dilute ratios and at some point its too late to spray any copper, mature leaves don't like it.

Frank, I don't have enough PLC experience to know the optimal timing for control sprays, hopefully someone else does or read up on it.

Scott

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Great to have you back Glenn! Mrs. G

• Michael
    11 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glenn. Just the other day I was looking for a spreadsheet I thought I made up for doing those darned Kocide calcs., as they can get rather time consuming and found it! Man, pouring over the spreadsheet to make sure I use it correctly now is daunting after the brain tumor, surgery and radiation. the mind isn't as sharp as it was when I built that hairy spreadsheet. Damn, can't even find my bag of Kocide 2000, looked everywhere!

Sorry OP, can't help at this time.