Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puggylover75_gw

Blueberry Bush Vigor

Good Afternoon fellow Blueberrians!

The below photos are of my blueberry bushes that I planted in 2012. This will be their second year for fruit.

I was just wondering what "Normal" vigor is for blueberries as this is my first experience growing them.

This is the only picture I could find for with I first planted them. Sharp Blue, Sunshine Blue and Southmoon.
{{gwi:75295}}
Southmoon (Looks bad but it is still ion the leafing out stage but is loaded with berries).

Sunshine Blue - I believe this is a dwarf variety?

Sharp Blue -

Pink Lemonade Blueberry (Did not have a before picture for this one)

Thanks for your opinions!

Jennifer

This post was edited by Puggylover75 on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 23:13

Comments (9)

• pharmachad
    10 years ago

They look beautiful and healthy! Looks like they
    Should for 2nd season harvest. Nice job on
    the fertilizer-nice dark green color. What do you
    use?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Jennifer,

I think they look great. A touch of chlorosis in a couple pics but not much especially for in ground in CA. Nice job.

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Pharm and Bamboo!

I was concerned because they are listed to grow to 6 feet and mine are no where close to that yet.

Am I to prune them in winter or does summer pruning apply to blueberries as it does to fruit trees? I have not touched them as far as pruning goes.

Below is the only thing I use and I apply twice a year. Should I be using additional fertilizers or would horse manure work? I have also applied pine bark every year.

Jennifer

This post was edited by Puggylover75 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 0:02

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I love your pugs! I lost the only pug I had in 2012. I miss him a lot! Your blueberries look great. OK, back to pugs! My pug (Duncan) saved a baby bird from a raccoon attack and they became good friends, it was amazing!

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Drew.

I have 4 pugs. Lost the 5th one to a coyote attack the same year I planted the blueberries. If you look at the pug on the left you can see her hair has been shaved. She made it trough the attack her daughter did not. It was heartbreaking.

Your Duncan is gorgeous! Your bird story is soooo pug :). Our boy Spike would let birds land on his back and nestle in. It was amazing! They are the best dogs.

• charina
    10 years ago

Horse manure works great . . . for introducing weed seeds. Seed free feed, or it must be well composted.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have had 2 Aussies, and they are cool dogs too. Max the aussie was Duncan's best friend, they were meant to be together and died 2 days apart. i went from having two dogs to having none. We were heart broken. I now have Jesse the wonder dog, and my daughter has Axel a black pug!

Jesse

{{gwi:75308}}

Axel
    {{gwi:75309}}

Jesse and Axel are best friends!
    {{gwi:75310}}

Sorry to be so off subject, your blueberries will grow to 6 feet. Usually you trim off older canes that are 4-5 years old. Some do some trimming to limit fruit, to produce bigger berries, much like fruit trees. It will take 5 years for them to reach full height.

• riverman1
    10 years ago

If your original soil mix included acidifiers like peat moss or pine bark I would be careful with the sulfur you are using. Sulfur breaks down very slowly so it can be months before you see the ph change. What you should do is get the soil ph tested and then you will know how best to proceed with the best nitrogen fertilizer. Your plants look good right now.

RM

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

You can prune in the winter or right after the harvest is complete. Generally I do my shaping in the winter and summer hedge but you can do both after the harvest. The summer hedging actually makes the bushes taller as it stimulates a growth flush. To be clear only those of us in the warm zones can summer prune.