Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and how to transplant a Blueberry bush?

Posted by HighlanderNorth Mid Atlantic US (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 18:27

I have a customer who has 2 blueberry bushes on his property that he doesnt ever remember planting, nor does he care about them. He didnt even know they were there til I pointed them out.

They are both in the shade, and the smaller one is in heavy shade. Even the larger one is almost completely shaded.

But the larger one is pretty old and even though its been shaded for many years, it's about 4' tall x 4" wide. Its a fairly healthy plant. The other one isnt as large and doesnt look very good as it gets no sun.

So I want to dig them up and transplant them somewhere else. They will have very well established roots surrounded by tree roots for sure.

I've grown about 7 blueberry bushes so far, but they were younger than these 2, and I only had to tra
When is the best time to dig them up and transplant them? How well do they handle being dug up if they've been in the ground for a long time, as long as your as careful as can be? How wide will the root system typically be for an older blueberry bush? Can it handle some of it's roots being cut or broken during transplanting, or are they sensitive?

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and how to transplant a Blueberry bush?

There are some good older threads on this subject. This one for instance.

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting blueberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here