Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

When and how to transplant a Blueberry bush?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I have a customer who has 2 blueberry bushes on his property that he doesnt ever remember planting, nor does he care about them. He didnt even know they were there til I pointed them out.

They are both in the shade, and the smaller one is in heavy shade. Even the larger one is almost completely shaded.

But the larger one is pretty old and even though its been shaded for many years, it's about 4' tall x 4" wide. Its a fairly healthy plant. The other one isnt as large and doesnt look very good as it gets no sun.

So I want to dig them up and transplant them somewhere else. They will have very well established roots surrounded by tree roots for sure.

I've grown about 7 blueberry bushes so far, but they were younger than these 2, and I only had to tra

When is the best time to dig them up and transplant them? How well do they handle being dug up if they've been in the ground for a long time, as long as your as careful as can be? How wide will the root system typically be for an older blueberry bush? Can it handle some of it's roots being cut or broken during transplanting, or are they sensitive?

Any advice?