Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone try this Monterey product?

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 18:34

Once a Year Insect Control, 32 oz
Used as a soil drench on ornamental trees, shrubs and certain fruit and nut tree!
It controls adelgids, leaf beetles, leafhoppers, mealy bugs, scale, whiteflies, borers (Emerald Ash Borer), and many others. Gives a full year of control; no spraying, just use around the roots as a soil drench for full season insect control.

Could this be an alternative to 'Once and Done'? Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone try this Monterey product?

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 21:26

Mrs. G,

I haven't used it, but the active ingredient is imidacloprid (not to be confused w/ Imidan). I'm somewhat familiar with the mode of action of imidacloprid.

One disadvantage is that it is not labeled for major pests like codling moth because it has low efficacy. It's really designed for insects which attack foliage, or wood (like borers).

A big disadvantage is it is very persistent in the soil, so that if applied one year, there could be enough residue the next to produce lethal residues in the blooms for bees. It takes an unusually small amount of the compound to kill bees compared to other insecticides. For this reason, I don't think I would ever use it.

There has been some discussion about banning this product for home use because its extreme toxicity to bees.

o
RE: Anyone try this Monterey product?

Thanks Olpea! Your answer works for me, I hope it works for others too. Oh, geesh, I should have read the fine print! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here