Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens if you don't cut back the raspberries?

Posted by keepitlow 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 18:36

My rasp got neglected last year and were never cut back. They were about 4 - 5 feet tall. They started to sprout leaves last week. I cut them back today. But what would have happened if I just let them grow and did not cut them back?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens if you don't cut back the raspberries?

Did they fruit last year? Many varieties only fruit on 2-year old wood. If you mowed them down, you'll need to wait till next year for any fruit now. If you pruned them back to some certain height, you've just cut off that much of your fruiting wood. But if the wood already fruited and was basically dead, or if you have one of the so-called fall-bearing varieties that can fruit in year one, then you might be okay.

o

Mine spread all over creation when I don't prune them back...

The short answer is that you end up with a giant bramble patch... and it's nearly impossible to get the fruit...

Thanks

o

Thats what small children are for, John. It teaches them to be quick and nimble.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 15:34

john in sc, we have the same plant.
Mr. Josey of Josey nursery gave me one plant & 8 years later I have a patch in the back yard.
I lift the gate open, once & someone called the county.
The county said I had to cut the weeds.
I ask where it was written that I could not have fruit plant in my back yard.
I still do not know the name of my Southern raspberry.
I am thinning them out to plant on the farm in the country.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here