Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian pear with little black bugs

Posted by elih California (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 18:37

This is our first spring with this multi-variety asian pear. I noticed a lot of these little black bugs on the Chojuro variety.

I assume these are aphids? There's a couple of small leaves curled up with a bunch on them but it doesn't seem to be too bad yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian pear with little black bugs

Yes, aphids, use an insecticidal oil to smother those, or on a plant like that you may be able to spray most of them off with a hose on certain nozzle settings. In your area aphid populations will increase quickly. Not too bad yet could change overnight to just too bad!

o

Are there ants on the tree as well? If they are farming the aphids they are the problem. Stop the ants (tanglefoot is good around trunk) and ladybugs will take care of rest...

o

Or try spraying them with soapy water ;)
Do not put too much soap though!!

o

Ladybug larva would already have to be present on the plant to control the current aphid population. I would not wait for that to occur for that particular plant.

o

• Posted by elih none (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 13:20

Sorry didn't get alerts to all these. I don't see ants on the tree itself, we do have ants in a few places around the yard around the base of some citrus trees though. I'll try some soapy water and getting some ladybugs, haven't seen any around.

o

Getting ladybugs is fine, but it is a long-term solution as most purchased beetles fly off after release to distant yards. Once several people in the neighborhood release ladybugs a viable population of aphid-controlling ladybugs and larvae may develop over months and in succeeding years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here