Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape cultivar for container and less heat requirements.

Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 18:39

Anybody have success with growing grapes in containers. I have a nice 5 gallon container that I would like to use for the patio. It gets about 5 hours of sunlight daily so I'm looking for something with less heat requirements and will do well in a container. I can easily get a flame seedless, and concord, will these work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape cultivar for container and less heat requirements.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 21:33

That size container would be better for a blueberry but a grape will work. You would be limited to a few small bunches. In your climate Flame is probably a better choice than Concord.

o

I have grown grapes in containers for a long time due to lack of space and HOA restrictions.

Grapes do best with full sun. Five hours might be OK, but more sun is better.

It's hard to kill a grape vine, and it should do well. Remember it is a vine and you will need some support for it to grow on. Many people head train their vines, making a strong trunk with cascading canes from the crown like a little tree. The grapes are shaded under the canopy of leaves so they don't get sunburned, and the leaves drink in the sunshine to make the grapes sweet!

Good luck!

Suzi

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 18:25

Going to get a flame grape vine and train it as a little tree. Thanks for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here