Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
upcoming freeze and blooming fruit trees

Posted by abciximab 7b/8 AR (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 18:39

With a day or two close to 80 degrees and warmer temperatues in early March, I knew we might have some trouble. A lot of our plums, apriums, pluots and a few peaches and nectarines have started blooming. Some are in full bloom but no leaves yet. With this crazy weather, we are supposed to get down to 30-32 degrees nightly on Sunday,Monday, and Tuesday. What kind of effects should I expect from these temperatures? Is there any recommended protection? We have about 25 fruit trees blooming and some are pretty big. It's a very disappointing weather forecast!

Patrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: upcoming freeze and blooming fruit trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 19:16

Patrick:

30F won't hurt a thing. Damage starts at about 28F, see link below. They are predicting 25F here but I expect lower. Amarillo is forecast in the teens all three nights. Everything is blooming there and here.

The only thing I've saved fruit with is a tarp and heat source underneath.

This is why I now grow in a greenhouse. But I also have outdoor fruit and several friends as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated spring frost thresholds

o

Yeah..i don't begin to worry until temps drop below 28F...Even mid 20Fs and a lot of buds will survive... Anything below 25F for a few hours is probably bad for most fruit trees...

o

Great information! Thanks! So there is hope of having some fruit.

I guess the same goes for frost damage? Two of the 3 nights are supposed to be windy and cloudy. The third night will be clear and calm. I'm sure there will be a heavy frost Tuesday night.

o

Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 21:45

Clouds are the best thing possible to hold the temperature up. Clear and no wind is when the worst freezes typically happen. But frost doesn't matter. It's all about temperature which is pretty hard to accurately measure in an orchard setting.

After bloom damage starts at about 28 and gets severe at about 24F.

o

Thanks for posting that link. Great information.

o

The forecast keeps getting worse. The next three nights are supposed to be 29, 29, 30 degrees. I hope it doesn't drop any further! Monday and Tuesday night is predicted to be calm and clear. It looks like I still have a degree or two to play with.

o

Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 11:08

abc:

The front blew through here last night and we hit 25F instead of the 30F predicted. I covered a few things but one heater malfunctioned.

Maybe your forecast will prove better than ours. I hope so!

o

We had similar weather last year, disaster. There was quite literally 'no fruit' last year.
Locally, no apples anywhere, plums, apricots, nectarines and peaches were a no show. The only stuff I had was black currants and a few BBs..
I just hope for your sake it doesn't happen to you.

o

Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 18:57

We had a total freeze out of unprotected apricots at 25F last night. These were past shuck split. I think I saved one small tree with a tarp and heat lamp. It will probably be even colder tonight so I'll be setting up again soon.

o

Oh Fruitnut, I am soooo sorry. Big ouch! Mrs. G

o

Sorry to hear that Fruitnut!

I got up at 5:00 AM this morning to check the temperature. One of my thermometers showed 27 degrees, the other 29 degrees. I hope the 27 degrees was a bad reading. I guess we'll know soon?

One night down, two to go.

Fingers crossed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here