Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Bamboorabbit, Gulf Coast Blueberry

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 18:41

Hey Bam,

Has your experience with this variety shown its slow to leaf out? Mine is a 4 year old plant now but was cut back to the soil line last spring due to stem blight but rebounded nicely. Im afraid Ive left to many fruit so its alittle slow to leaf out. Its pushing leafs and branches but not like it should for the fruit load I see. Im just worried its under too much stress and will come down with blight once again. I know you had problems with this variety and eventually removed them completely. It has already set lost of fruit and thinking I may be able to thin some more to help it out or is it probably too late?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Here is Sunshine Blue and I think I left too many buds here aswell. Its leafing out much better than Gulfcoast but still just a little slow??? Both these plants are loaded with fruit. I only left 3 to 4 fruit buds on the tips of the branches but I think I left too many branches. May be Im beggining to get selfish?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Or maybe Im just a worry wort???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Bamboorabbit, Gulf Coast Blueberry

Blue,

Gulfcoast is just a problem child. Most of the reason it is so blight prone is the lack of leafing during fruit set so it is nothing you did wrong. I would just let it bear it's brains out then compost it......you will eventually realize it is just not worth it and I know you have limited space.

In my opinion I think the fruit load on the sunshine is fine. If it made the branches it has enough energy to ripen the fruit made on the branches.

o

10-4 Bam, thanks for the reply. I hate to dump a plant like that but at some point in the near future Im going to have to thin out some more plants anyway. I guess thats going to be one of them. My plan is to see which varieties I like best and sell the rest. More bad news on FHN. They sent me a Windsor last spring. Its fruiting now and the growth and fruit look nothing like the Windsor from JF&E. The berries calayx is much smaller. The berries on the windsor from JF&E resemble Emerald in apperance but are bigger with more of a raised bumpy look in side the calayx. Im starting wonder about all the varieties they sent me know???

o

On FHN......I'm not saying a word:) I have said my piece on that operation. Did you ever get your Sweetcrisps?

o

FHN never got me my sweetcrisp but they did send me 24 plants, 12 varieties 2 each for the mix up. I told them which varieties they carried that would do well in my area and they sent them to me. It was more than I could have asked for. Only problem now is some of the varieties they sent to replace the sweetcrisp dont seem to be what they say they were. Im pretty sure the sharpblue is actually Emerald. The windsor is unknwon at this point. Several other varieties are questionable because I dont have the said variety to compair them too. I did get some sweetcrisp from JF&E. They are no doubt sweetcrisp. I will post some pics of my plants soon so yall can see what Im talking about. No matter how you slice it, Im going to have some fruit this spring. I may not know what variety Im eating but I bet it will still make a turd!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here