Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenone19

help with grape vine

goldenone19
10 years ago

I have a chardonnay grape vine that I received in January, it was bare root, and I planned on growing it in its first few years in a pot since I don't have a really big yard. Long story short, the trunk cracked, I have no idea if it came that way or if it split in a cold day in winter. I didn't think it was alive since my other perennials are coming out of dormancy, so I dug the plant up to see if the roots had grown and I don't think they did. It seems I 'healed' the plant in so I soaked the roots in some water for a few hours and cut them down, the appeared white and healthy so I figured the plant was alive, and when I cut the longer part of the trunk it was green. However there was a huge spot quite a ways down on the trunk that was split. So I cut it off the plant, where it was split was also green on the inside. But the split was straight through, I could see through it. In any case I now have a somewhat long stump, with maybe one bud on it. Do you think what's left of the trunk will grow into a plant or did I ruin it completely? I can post pictures if that will help. Thanks in advance for any advice you could give.