Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahajmano

Which grape varieties love heat?

ahajmano
11 years ago

Hello,
I am struggling to determine which grape I should plant in tho location against the fence. The spot is at the top of a south weat facing slope adjacent to the neighbor. This is by far the warmest part of my yard yer round.

Of the following grapes that I have yet to plant, which one needs the most warmth?

Delight
Golden muscat
Black emerald
Midgleys purple
Isabella concord

All are vinafera exept the concord.

Also, do labrusca a do ok in very warm locations? I hear vinaferas do.

Comments (9)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

The viniferas will like more heat than the Concord. But I can't tell you which of the vinifera varieties will take the most heat. Most of them do well in climates like Bakersfield. Sunset 23 is more coastal, right? If so your heat won't be too much.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

They seem to do fine here with 105f +

Not sure exactly which varieties I have.

One is maybe a golden muskat, maybe alexandria best grapes ever IMO.

Another is a red seedless table grape of some sort, which is wrapped mostly around a dark brown south-facing wall. Fine as long as I water occasionally.

You're welcome to cuttings, if you can come up here. I am in north foothills area of Los Angeles (Sunland/Tujunga).

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been looking for muscat of Alexandria everywhere! I would love some cuttings. Maybe I can send you a gift certificate to cover the mailing cost? I'm pretty far south.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

The description for Muscat of Alexandria says not suited to hot desert climates. So it sounds more heat sensitive than most other vinifera. I fruited it last year. I thought it not nearly as good as Summer Muscat. The berries, on Alexandria, are much bigger but they are really seedy. Summer Muscat is seedless.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Like I said, not sure on the variety. It is a muscat of the green/yellow type, with a delicious fragrance, if you like that sort of thing. Does have seeds, (which doesn't bother me at all) does fine with my zone 22-23 summer, which is 105f +

How far south are you? I'll be in Long Beach this thursday morning. Maybe heading to Escondido over the weekend for the Permaculture Convergence.

Truth is, I'm just not good with getting stuff in the mail, especially since I'm busy this month.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

p.s. ahajmano, I can't seem to message you through GW, can you message me?

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

mistake - I am zone 19ish.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I am moving to zone 19 in a couple months, but currently live in extreme heat! Here is what thrives:

Mourvedre
    Cabernet Sauvignon Clone 08
    Charbono
    Alicante Bouchette
    Tempranillo
    Zinfandel
    Angelico
    and the best of all, Touriga National.

I have others, but these have been seen climbing to the top of palm trees... Not a good idea, but they get their roots deeper. These are all vinifera. Not a table grape in the bunch. They are all red. I have one white called Champanel, and it, for year one, is doing great!

I will be bringing the above with me to Zone 19 and would expect them to thrive.

These are all on a drip system, and are heavy producers.

Suzi

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

I have Champanel in Z8 Texas. Watering limited to once a month if dry. They are doing quite well. This variety is described as a "jelly" grape that is suitable for alkaline soils.