Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical Strawberry Patch

Posted by Katherine23 80228 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 18:43

I just moved into a new home that has an established strawberry patch. The plants are starting to pop up and I'm wondering if I can grow the patch vertically? Is there a pipe or tower I can build over the patch and the plants will spread up it? Or would I have to transplant them to the tower? Any advice would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical Strawberry Patch

I doubt that can be done. Strawberries spread by stolons (runners). As the strawberry plant runners are sent out, the nodes will develop the adventitious (its own separate roots) roots, send them downward, and establish the new clone plant once contact with soil is made. Once established, the intermodal runners will dry, shrivel, turn brown, and eventually separate leaving two independent plants: the original and the clone. This allows them to find better soil or areas of better sunlight.

I don't see how the stolons are going to survive without soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here