Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reshaping a Peach Tree

Posted by VBee (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 18:53

Hi,
I have a mature Reliance dwarf peach tree that produced around 120 lbs of peaches that year, which was awesome. My problem is that I was very inexperienced when I initially started pruning it 6-years ago. In a nutshell, I let some upper branches grow out and shade lower branches. This caused the lower branches to grow outward to the point where the tree is probably 15 ft wide. I have been working at slowly removing upper branches to correct the shading problem over the past few years. I would really like to start some new scaffold branches so that I could eventually remove the very long ones that currently exist. I have some very vigorous waterspout that I'm wondering if I can bend down to become new scaffold branches. Anyone ever tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reshaping a Peach Tree

Peaches are not as cooperative of candidates for reconstruction projects as any other common fruit species, especially apples and pears- but vigorous water sprouts are just what you need to make new scaffolds.

I wouldn't spread them to fullt horizontal because, on older trees especially, this may weaken them and cause them to lose all vigor. Remove anything shading your chosen branches (watersprouts)- especially during the growing season.

Peaches can be the most difficult of species to maintain in an efficient and productive form, especially if there are any sources of stress- from over cropping to excessive competition from the roots of nearby forest trees (as well as excessive shading from their own high branches, as you mention). I can stay on top of the ones in my orchard but at sites I seldom get to they regularly get away from me.

o
RE: Reshaping a Peach Tree

• Posted by VBee none (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 21:29

Thanks for the reply, Harvestman. It's very helpful to have the advice of someone who's obviously had much more experience with this sort of thing than I have. I've tied a couple of the waterspouts at around 45 deg angles and concentrated most of my pruning to keeping the overall width in check, but without taking too much off. I am of course also trying to keep the shading to a minimum. -Lot's of things to keep track of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here