Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is used commercially for cross-pollination of Red Pear?

Posted by chara2 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 19:00

Greetings,
those 2 little ones came from the same fruit of a store bought Red Pear. I researched on possible pollinators what could have brought that red tint to the seedling to no avail. Would anyone please, give me a suggestion?

Red Pear Seedlings photo march2013013_zps6102d4e5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is used commercially for cross-pollination of Red Pear?

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 23:50

I think most Euro pears flower within a week of each other anyway. Winter Nelis is a prolific pollinator but not a heavy cropper. It is a good keeper.
john S
PDX OR

o
RE: What is used commercially for cross-pollination of Red Pear?

CHara

I grew some bosc pear from seed, and my seedlings did the same thing: One redish, one green with a slight red tint to the edges of the leaves and the trunk.

They do seem to change a bit as they get older. Also, seedling pear apparently can have spines...

Lastly - Dont expect to be growing the exact same fruit as where you got the seed. Our fruit have enormous genetic codes, which means the variability of the plants is really a guessing game. The odds are you should get something worth it, even for rootstock, but its very, very rare to get something really worth it from seed, and even rarer to get the parent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here