Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting distance/Pollination of Jujube?

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 19:01

I have a two-year-old Shan Xi Li and I was wondering how far apart they need to be for pollination. I got a Xu Zhou last fall from England. Do I need to plant them directly next to each other (in this case 5 feet) or can they be on the other side of my yard (about 120 feet).

Either I put my pears all in a row together or the jujubes. Does it even matter with jujubes? I have heard that some cultivars are self-fertile or partially self-fertile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting distance/Pollination of Jujube?

Mg,

Most varieties of jujube are self- fertile.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Jujube

o

Okay, thanks. I read an article about Sherwood maybe only being partially self-fertile so I was wondering. If they are pollinated by wind it would seem that having two cultivars close together would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Are Jujubes Self-Fertile?

o

Most self-pollination info is somewhat unreliable, to get the really accurate data would require a lot of work of bagging flowers etc, and its more collected wisdom that is used.

My take on the jujube data is you may get better set with pollination but will almost surely get some fruit set without. I have problems with fruit set in spite of a lot of pollinators.

Scott

o

When I start with the Li variety a few years ago I didn't get fruit for three years. So I grafted other varieties and been getting a decent crop. I also have a potted Li that I had far away from the tree in a greenhouse, it set a big crop with out a pollinator. So, it's really hard to understand their pollination requirement.
Most jujube seeds are hollow which means they weren't pollinated.
Bottom line, it will not reliably set fruit with no pollination.

Bass

o

Jujubi plants are polinated by bees. They do best when there are two varieties to allow cross polination. Native bees polinate about 300 feet from their nests. Honey bees at least a mile. So the distant between your jujubi is not so important if they are both within say 100 feet of each other. You will probably get the best results if they are 10-20 feet apart. Build yourself a mason bee box near the trees and they will polinate your trees early and well.

o

I wouldn't say that the bees are main pollinators. Wasps and ants do the main job with a little help from a stray beetles.
Jujube flower structure isn't really made for bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here