Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pros and cons of using pine straw for mulch

Posted by pjames 8/LA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 19:02

I am considering using pine straw around the strawberry plants I am putting out. I wanted to keep the fruit off the dirt and to help with weed control.

I do not normally use pine straw around any of my vegetables. I add compost occasionally during the growing
season and weeds don't seem to be a major problem in my raised beds.

My main concern was if pine straw had any major benefits or caused any problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pros and cons of using pine straw for mulch

Pros: Fairly inexpensive; lasts a couple years before it rots; easy to use

Cons: Can increase the acid of your soil, however strawberries are quite tolerant to acid soil

o

What is pine straw? thank you.

o

Pine needles do not significantly acidify soil. It's one of those old gardening myths. I have done soil tests beneath pine trees that have been mulching themselves for decades and the pH was identical to nearby earth in sod.

Soft woods don't extract as much calcium from the soil as hardwoods and so you will be adding less calcium but it will not be a problem. If you need a higher pH you should add lime anyway. I have seen demonstration vegetable gardens at very well known botanical gardens using pine needles for mulch.

o

I was wondering the same thing about using it to mulch in my strawberry beds. I have white pines as a windbreak around half of my old property line and the needles have been gathering under them for years. It seems to me it would be a tidy mulch with much less tendency to mat up like straw.

o

I also have never heard about pine straw, so I googled it, and found a place that actually sells it on the internet! I guess you'd REALLY have to want pine straw!

http://www.pinestraw.com/pine-straw-faqs.html

Carla in Sac

o

It's an excellent mulch and has been suggested by some ag U.s as a new industry- gathering and bundeling pine needles. I guess it's starting to take off. I would definately use it if I had large enough white pines on my property.

o

My son lives in the Paradise Pine area near Chico California. Residents there are required by law to keep the pine needles raked up as a forest fire prevention scheme. My grandsons made pocket money while in high school clearing the yards of elderly retired folks in the area. They hauled it to the local dump. It is very slow to compost, which makes it a good mulch. In a dry forest however it is a fire hazard. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here