Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
female kolomikta kiwis

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 19:50

I have september sun but havent been able to find any other female kolomkita varieties. are there any, as its my undertanding that my male kolomikta wont pollinate any of the female argutas.
also, how can i propogate my september sun to give me a second fruiting plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: female kolomikta kiwis

Cuttings of kiwi green wood are supposed to root easily, so that should be one way to manufacture additional plants.

For additional female kolomikta cultivars, check out One Green World.

I wish I could grow kolomiktas but every time I've tried the delicate little plants have given up the ghost within a year :-(

o

One Green World sells a female kiwi called Victor. Supposed to be largest fruit of the arctic kiwis. I grafted kiwi last year and they take easily. Locate someone with Victor and get cuttings for grafting. A third kiwi plant in a pot would crowd the roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victor

o

I just stumbled on this list of other sources for female kolomiktas as I was looking up "Red Beauty" (which I just got in the mail):

http://www.backyardgardener.com/Plant-Index/Plants/Actinidia/kolomikta.html

(scroll down)

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 1:08

Also dormant cuttings work. I've grown many. Keep slugs away, and don't grow them in hot sun. Much shade required most places.
John S
PDX OR

o

John, if you see this, how would you recommend babying along two small plants (4" pots) that just came through the mail? I swore I would never throw away money on a kolomikta again after many failures, but my resolve evaporated when I came across these on sale.

Right now they are inside in bright light while I decide how to transition them to outside. I assume they have been living in a greenhouse prior to shipping. The plants are just so delicate, even larger specimens I had purchased before.

Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here