Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxytetracycline as a preventative/treatment for Pierce's Disease?

Posted by gonebananas 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 19:51

I notice that oxytetracycline (an antibiotic) is able to be used on fruit trees as an injectable and thus systematic antibacterial agent. This includes for fireblight on pears and certain diseases of peaches and lethal yellowing of coconuts..

I wonder if it also might allow susceptible bunch grapes to be grown in the south?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxytetracycline as a preventative/treatment for Pierce's Dise

I'm sure they would have tried it. Sure wish they would come up with a treatment as I would love to grow concords.

o
RE: Oxytetracycline as a preventative/treatment for Pierce's Dise

I have found a bunch grape growing semiwild in a long abandoned yard (now a thicket) where the house was torn down many years ago, this in central SC where bunch grapes routinely die in a few years. It looks a bit like "Concord," tastes a bit like it, and ripens irregularly in a bunch as "Concord" is reported to do in hot climates. It must be PD resistant. Could it possibly be a "Concord" bud mutation with some PD resistance?

In any case, it got accidentally trimmed along the edges of the yard where it grew best in sunshine (a parking lot abuts). so I cannot get dormant cuttings this season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here