Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Martins in 2012

Posted by heymikeyGA 7b GA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 19:55

Hi All,
For the first time in over 25 years the Purple Martins have not arrived in my area yet. We take very good care of our houses. Each year we take down our houses and gourds and clean them out and return them late Jan or Early Feb. They almost always arrive here around Feb 20th. I'm getting concerned that they might not come this year. No starling problems either. I've asked other folks I know who have Martin houses in my area and none have shown up at their houses either. Has anyone in the southeast spotted Purple Martins this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Martins in 2012

Yes, they are here in South Ga.

o

Next county over from Randy and they here but not as many as usual.

o

Hey Randy,
When did they arrive this year in your area? Maybe there's hope.

o

Was wondering the same - they're usually here around March 10th. Have seen none to date.
Had a disaster last year with the main house blowing over (twice in a week's time) with nests and eggs in place. They left when that happened the second time.

o

I tried to post yesterday but the the forum would not take the post.

I really don't know the birds were at the nursery where I went to buy a new orange tree. If I go back I will ask.

o

One made a nest up under my deck this year (Which made a big muddy mess all over the place)... 1st time I have ever really seen any around here... Seems like there are a lot of them around... That's OK with me - as I have plenty of bugs for them to eat...

Anyway - they may have just a made a more eastern migration route this year... I have heard of such things - apparently their nests in wild places get full of mites and such... It may just be that abandoning them for several years takes care of the problem...

Thanks

o

google purpke martin scout and see when they usually arrive , data goes back for 6-8 years .
i've 12 gourds , most have martins . they came about 3 weeks ago .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here