Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loquat grown from the seed? any good?

Posted by preppyjock 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 19:55

can they reproduce the same kind if they are grown from the seed?

and how long will it take for it to reproduce fruit from a seed?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loquat grown from the seed? any good?

It's a gamble. I took seedlings from two sister seedlings, both from the same mother tree. One sister seedling had large teardrop shaped fruit that was sweet and acidic before all the way ripe and very sweet, little to no acid when ripe. The other sister seedling was medium size and round, with high sugar and high acid, just like I like them. It also had an apricot flavor and fruited 30 days after the other seedling.

I took 2 seedlings from the large fruited variety and 1 from the medium fruited variety due to only 2 being available, and the person who introduced me to the owner wanted one.

The seedling from the large fruited variety is just like it's mother. My daughter talked me out of the medium variety and it was just like it's mother. Her tree died the year after bearing.

Although my trees were almost copies of the mothers, the original seedling sister trees were very different.

Seedlings should bear fruit from 3 to 5 years. My trees were @2 years old when I got them and they fruited the following year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here